Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pregnancy Tricks & Treats

As I continue my journey down this path called Pregnancy I've noticed many changes in myself... some are fun, even enjoyable. Some are neither of the former, but rather downright annoying and uncomfortable.

Trick: My feet are killing me!! It must be the increased weight, combined with the complete lack of support I offer them by wearing $3 Old Navy flip-flops all summer. They don't hurt so much during the day, but the first time I get out of bed in the morning to shuffle my way to the bathroom (with a full bladder, likely adding another 5 pounds...) they hurt excruciatingly bad! I've tried to walk different ways so as not to put a ton of pressure on the most painful parts, but haven't met with any success. I guess this is one I'll have to deal with.

Treat: I've dried my hair very few times this summer, due to the heat (who wants to aim a jet stream of hot air at their head when it's already hot and muggy?) and my general laziness and lethargy. However, the few times that I have, I've noticed that I can go longer between washings and my hair doesn't get greasy! I've always been able to go tow days on one washing, but now I've gone 3 or 4 without a problem. This will be wonderful once school starts and it's a bit cooler out. (Yes, I still shower!)

Trick: This may be TMI for some of you, but I've recently begun to do what the cyber-world refers to as "Snissing." If I'm about to sneeze and am not totally aware and prepared (which is impossible with the crazy allergies I've had this year), I also pee. Not a lot, but enough to make me feel like I'm 90 years old. Oh the joys of this process!

Treat: The hair on my legs grows super slow these days :) Maybe this is some sort of gift from God considering how significantly more difficult is is becoming to bend over and shave my legs. (I broke a sweat trying to paint my own toenails earlier this week...) Anyway, where as in past summers I've had to shave every other, if not every day. Now, I can go 3 or 4 with out a problem. Love it!

Trick: Also bladder related, I believe the baby has started kicking or sitting on my bladder. I only notice this when I'm walking. I'll be fine, and then suddenly with every footfall I get this sharp, shooting pain that feels like I have to pee, even if I literally just walked out of the bathroom. It's not a real bother, but it's not really pleasant either.

Treat: Shopping is much more fun when you can blame your fatness on being pregnant and not on the donut you had for breakfast that morning. Motherhood pants, for example, don't fit me right... and I just figure it's not MY fault, so no need to feel guilty or bad about myself. It's not my fault my butt doesn't quite fit into those pants, it's the baby's, and also Motherhood's for not carrying more than one "fit" of pants. Ha!

Trick: My asthma has been out of control since day 1, but, espcially for the last few weeks. At first, my primary care doctor gave me a prescription for Singulair, which is a Category B (considered safe during pregnancy) drug. Since then I've gotten mixed (an sometimes unsolicited) opinions from the various OB's and GP's that I've seen between the two practices. The consensus, however, has been to keep using the rescue inhaler as needed rather than to start a new drug. Problem is, the rescue inhaler (albuterol) is a Category C drug, which basically means there isn't a lot of research proving the safety or otherwise, or that there have been birth defects or other problems linked to teh drug, but no controlled studies done. Great! So now I make this choice each day: (A) spend time freaking out about how I may have harmed my baby, but breathing easily or (B) freaking out because I can't breathe for crap, but feel good about not inhaling potentially harmful drugs. Great! I'll be bringing this up at my 27 week appointment on Thursday.

But alas, I'm not complaining. I've loved being pregnant so far, and I intend to love it one way or another until Baby Cool decides he's tired of his current living arrangements and joins us in this big exciting world! Besides, until then, I only have to wash & dry my hair every few days... and with hair like mine, that's enough to keep me positive.

4 comments:

Julie said...

i had the same "trick" with painful feet in the morning. it didn't last that long...even when my feet became super swollen, the pain seemed to disappear after a month or so.

i also had the same "treat" with my hair washing. i have no shame in also adding that i did not even take a shower everyday. i wasn't working, so it really didn't matter to me. ahhh, just like in college:) however, my mom and matt have since ganged up on me and are forcing me to take shower everyday now that i have "fluids" coming out of me. sorry for the tmi, but you will see what i mean!

good luck with the pain in the feet, hopefully it will go away like it did with me.

Becky said...

I feel like I also had the foot pain in the am...sounds familiar. I didn't start growing hair fast on my legs again until Colin was weaned! I have the hair washing thing for a while but it didn't last the full nine months, although that could have been coupled with the fact that it was JULY.

Erin said...

My favorite of these is the snissing comment. I'm 17-months post delivery (today! Happy anniversary of being alive, babies!) and still have this problem. I should have bought stock in panty-liners a long time ago.

Does the albuterol make the baby freak out? When I was in the hospital before having the boys, I got pneumonia from all the liquids they pumped into me while I was on the magnesium sulfate IV to stop labor (and forced to lay in bed without moving). I had to have breathing treatments -- and I'm pretty sure that's what it was -- and it made me feel jittery -- and the boys would be super-active afterward. I hated it and refused after the treatment after a couple of days.

JJ said...

The foot pain is part of the extra weight but it's also the calcium being used for the baby. It robs your bones if it isn't getting enough from your diet. Drink another glass of milk honey..just think of it as one for you and one for me!