Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Glider Woes Are Over!

So, many of you might know that I've been seriously stressing about what type of chair to get for the nursery. I know that above all it needs to be comfortable since I will be using it for long periods of time for feedings, rocking to sleep and back to sleep, and possibly to sleep in myself if the night warrants it (fingers crossed that it doesn't...). Brian's parents generously offered a long time ago to buy whatever we want, but I just haven't found anything I like enough to feel comfortable accepting money for. Despite their serious level of comfort, I didn't want a "normal" glider from Babies R Us. The look of those gliders doesn't appeal to me at all, and I would hate for my in-laws to spend even $200 on something that I'll use for a few years and then hide in a corner or sell to get it out of my house. Becky has the Ikea Poang Chair, which I love and is affordable, but isn't as comfortable or easy to move as a glider. Plus, and the plus being the biggest obstacle of all, the nearest Ikea is in Brooklyn.

I also looked at custom made rocking chairs from Off Your Rocker, which would be hand made to our specifications, and I could even have sent my own fabric for it to be covered in. This was also an affordable option, and I was very close to just ordering one and done with it... but then I worried about where we'd put it in the nursery, and whether it would be on hardwood, carpet, or both. If I'm going to go with a rocker, I want it to rock-- no matter what.

Finally, yesterday, we made one last effort to find a glider I didn't hate. While at Dunk and Bright we were shown some Amish-made gliders that we'd looked at before and forgotten. Well, we fell back in love with them and purchased one. They're all wood with no padding, but they have extra lumbar support and a seat that's egronomically designed so that it doesn't feel like you're sitting on hardwood. They're surprisingly comfortable! I'm so excited to go pick this chair up, and I love the way it looks. This is definitely a piece of furniture that we'll put right in our living room when we're done with it in a nursery!

This is a picture from a different website. Ours is a glider, not a rocker like the picture, and I think the wood is slightly darker. I'm SO relieved to have made this decision finally... now the nursery has all the furniture it needs, and we just need to organize and find places for all the baby stuff we'll need

1 comment:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Glad that you were able to find something you and Brian are fully satisfied with. There is nothing worse then just buying something that you are not totally thrilled with b/c you need it now but then don't have money to go and buy what you really want.

How long does it take to pick it up? Is it already assembled/do they deliver?