Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Pet Peeve: OB/GYNs

Aren't I just the eager little poster lately, huh? I hope no one minds my abundance of things to say, but I just have to spend one post whining (again) about the doctors at my OB/GYN's office.

Today was my 27/28 week appointment. I was schedule to see a new Doctor like I'm supposed to, and was naively exited to get to do so. The appointment was scheduled for 4:05 pm so, punctual as I try to be, I got there at 4:00 thinking I'd made good time and was right on schedule. The nurse called me in about 5 minutes later as expected. We have our usual pleasant visit, and I go back to the waiting room. Now, let me preface by saying that I LOVE the nurses at this place. They're personable, they listen well, they take down all of your concerns on your electronic chart, they tell stories to make you feel better or to raise your awareness-- on a scale of 1-10, the nurses have been a 10 every time. Same for the nurse-practitioner I've seen.

It's the doctors I dislike.

I finally get called in to see the doctor 45 minutes later. After the nurse patiently typed in all of the concerns I've been having into my chart, OF COURSE he walks in without it. This guy, at least, let me listen to the heartbeat and conversed with me, instead of talking at me. But seriously, it's a notebook-sized touch screen-- is it that difficult to bring it with you so that you know my name, and maybe a little bit about me? Like perhaps those concerns the nurse took the time to document??

He did a good job of answering my questions for the most part, but really people... I try hard to be a responsible patient. I take the time to research my concerns so that I'm educated when I go in there. I visit the practice's website before my visits so I know what to expect at each visit and how to prepare if I need to. I take time to write out all my questions so I'm organized about asking them instead of wasting their time hemming and hawing about what I may have forgotten. I prepare for these appointments, and I come in knowing what I expect and need.

Why aren't YOU prepared to see ME?? Why can't any of you bring my freakin' chart?? If I ask for ONE freakin' prescription, why do you forget to give it to me??

Maybe part of the problem is that by now, the receptionists know that I prefer late afternoon appointments so as not to miss school and use precious sick time. Maybe by the end of their day, the doctors are tired and not as on-the-ball as they were in the morning? I realize I'm just another pregnant woman... and I'm thankful that I'm just one of many, enjoying a thus-far complication and excitement free pregnancy, but really-- can't you just act like you give half a hoot about my unborn child and I? Sheesh!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This does not relate to your Doctor experience at all..but..we used to call Broccoli "trees" and had MANY names for your food...you just have always hated vegetables! The only thing you liked was peas rolling around on your tray!

Anonymous said...

I think that a doctor is like any profession, unfortunately...some are in it for the love of it, some were once in it for the love of it, and some are just there for the money. The last two options make it difficult to enjoy your experience. At my primary physician, I call him "one foot out the door"Parker, he says hi and by then it is like one foot is already itching to leave. I tend to go in and state, "I have 4 questions to ask you" and then he gives me one word responses.

When I went to my OB/GYN, about mid morning they were running late so I asked if this was typical and they said "yes." At least it was an honest answer but how can you run late, don't book so many appointments, people schedule their days around appointments.

I am glad that you enjoy the nurses and do find them to be helpful, however at our dr. office they have computers in the room and again they never know what my questions are. I should tell the nurse some off the wall things to see if the doctor is really listening.

Maybe next time start talking about how the alien starship leader came down and told you something or other and see if the doctor gives you a referral to a psychiatrist..at least you can say "thank you for listening!!!!"

When do your appoint. become more regular? Do you get any more sonograms? Did you get to hear the heartbeat w/o the chit chat? Is your home heartbeat monitor working yet as you said it often may not work until later in the pregnancy?

Sorry for being chatty so early in the morning!!
Elaine

Kristeen said...

Hmm, I haven't tried the home heartbeat thing in a while, Elaine... thanks for the reminder! It hasn't been on my mind as much now that I get regular kicks, punches and full body rolls to remind me that he's in there and healthy.

My appointments are now every two weeks. I'm hoping this doesn't prove to be a major PITA with my school schedule.

Erin said...

That is one of the cardinal rules for OB offices -- get the first appointment of the day or else you're going to wait for a long time. Do they have 7am appointments? As much as that would suck, at least it might allow you to be seen and then get to school ... Some offices are also moving to one evening of office hours a week for OB patients -- maybe you could request that instead? As much as the delays suck, just remember that they are most likely caused by having to fit in emergency patients who are miscarrying, having other complications, etc.

As for not having your chart, that is totally unacceptable. You should ask why they don't bring in the charts with them -- it seems like such a waste of everyone's time to go through all of that several times ...

Unknown said...

I don't like that they don't bring in the chart. That is obnoxious!!!

Demand your chart next time!!!