Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Doh!! Baby Brain


I remember when Becky was pregnant, and I always thought that "Baby Brain" was a silly, made up symptom. I still partially believed this until recently. This baby better have a gigantic brain and use it well, because apparently he's sucking all the intelligence, responsibility and rational behavior straight out of me. Case in point:

  • A few weeks ago we had a friend over for dinner. Dutiful little housewife that I am (haha) I graciously made desert for all of us. Then, I promptly put the just-opened half gallon of ice cream back in the refrigerator. Luckily, Brian found it a few minutes later and transferred it back to the freezer where it belongs.
  • After checking each individual schedule for all my kids grades 7-9, schedules were mailed out on August 20th. On August 22nd I received an email from one of my 8th grade students whose schedule was wrong. Just to be sure, I checked on Monday to make sure it was just his that was messed up. Guess what-- it wasn't!! I sent out screwed-up schedules to the entire 8th grade. After checking!! So I spent all day yesterday rewriting them, and resending them.
  • After a bathroom break today, as I'm standing in the Guidance Office talking to one of my coworkers, my secretary comes running into the office shouting my name and pointing. I thought she meant for me to hide because of a parent coming who I might not want to talk to, because she's good like that. But alas, she was not telling me about a parent, she was telling me that my skirt was tucked into my underwear. Good thing that it wasn't a school day, because my big giant butt was facing the hallway, where tons of kids and teachers would have been strolling by getting a full show. And thank God for my secretary.
Seriously, if this gets much worse, I'm in trouble!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My fear is always the skirt tucked thing. I am neurotic about it. Today the wind was blowing and I had a box which I was holding with both hands so I stood against the wall while all the h.s. students looked at me like I was psycho but I was wearing spanx and that still is not a site I am comfortable showing!!!

Glad to hear you have a great secretary b/c a student WOULD NEVER tell you, they would send a text message for everyone to come on down to Mrs. Cool's office!!!-Elaine

Julie said...

LOL! I love your stories. I am not sure if I had any pregnancy brain mishaps. One time, I locked myself out of the house.....it was nice to blame it on the pregnancy, but I have done that twice in the past when we lived in Ossining!

Just keep blaming it on the pregnancy......and then afterward, you can blame it on sleep deprivation from the baby!

Anonymous said...

I hope for your sake you had on grannie panties b/c at least you don't feel like people saw places you don't want strangers to see...-Elaine

Unknown said...

I find it ironic that you also have a Brian too...

You know you like to flash them undies! Dirty!

Sarah B. said...

"Baby brain" is definitely real.. I experienced many of those moments during pregnancy (except the skirt issue), and I am still experiencing some now (just not as bad). I made many mistakes while working. Good thing people were understanding (to a point), because if they were not, I may not have a job now. Just think, your brain will come back when your hormones are back to normal.

Kristeen said...

Elaine-- of COURSE I was wearing granny panties! I don't even know how much you'd have to pay me to get me in anything else these days. Feeling like a hippo doesn't do much for my self esteem these days...and feeling like a hippo in a thong DEFINITELY doesn't help either!! No thanks :) So my secretary was spared that particular view, but I'm pretty sure that what she saw wasn't all too appealing anyway. Granny panties don't hide cellulite under a florescent bulb (Remember your advice in college?) hahaha

Anonymous said...

At least men were spared (According to our college rule) so the world's population will still be able to reproduce. I often recite our mantra to others when they ask I am a going to swimming. One person told me that she never heard that research but she did believe me it was true (ha ha ha got me out of swimming in public.

Elaine