The class was very casual, held right in the store before they opened. There were 3 couples including Brian and I, both of which were very friendly and normal (whew!). One couple brought their baby who, amazingly enough, was quiet and attentive for the entire duration of the class-- about 1 hour. I hope his easy, calm temperament rubbed off on our baby...
Anyway, so the teacher, who was very normal and not preachy at all, started off by addressing many of the myths associated with CDing. She explained things from personal experience-- she has a 4 year old daughter that she and her husband exclusively CDed. She was refreshingly honest, admitting that at first, it was difficult to get the hang of, especially with prefolds, but that eventually they developed a routine and had no issues. She then moved into a breakdown of the different types, styles, and brands of CDs, and passed them around for us to see. It was great to actually get to hold and manipulate these diapers that I've looked at so extensively online. Again, with this she was very honest, telling us which brands are better at containing leaks, and which styyles she's heard negative feedback on. She also filled us in on detergents to use, accessories (which to invest in and which are just gimmicks) and how many we'll need.
SO... after having the whole CD world demystified before us, here's our to-buy list, along with a price breakdown. We plan on this taking us from birth to about 2-3 months, depending of course on the size and shape of the lil' Cooligan:
* The Kissaluvs are super gusseted around the legs, but not highly absorbent, making them better for infant "explosions." They also have snaps for securing the diaper, and the snaps provide different fits including a fold down, low-rise option to allow room for a healing umbilical cord.** Thirsties Duo Wraps have three rows of snaps on the front, that can be snapped together allowing for 3 different sizes in one diaper wrap.
Note: All of these products will fit the baby until he is about 15-18 pounds, depending on his shape. We have yet to make a decision about what will work best for us in this next stage, but figure that will be a good time to try Jillian's Drawers' Trial Package.
Feedback is welcome of course, but we're highly commited to this, and even Brian is excited to try!

4 comments:
Very cool. I can't wait to see everything. I kinda wish this was an option for us..maybe next baby if we are out of this apt.
I'm glad your class went so well, and that you have various options to try so that you can experiment to see what works best for you guys and the baby. I couldn't get prefolds to work -- they are so tricky, every bit of prefold surface has to be covered with the diaper cover -- otherwise, the diaper fabric acts as a "wick" and pulls all the moisture outside -- and onto clothes, bedding, etc.
One suggestion I would make to you guys -- don't ever start out using disposables! The hospital where Sam and Ben were used Pampers, and over their 3 week hospital stay, we got very used to the convenience of the disposables, and I think that made me lazy towards the cloth!
I look forward to hearing about your experiences so if my time ever comes I will have some "real" information. Elaine
I am so proud of my little Kristeen!!!
Is it strange that my word verification is "horni?"
Does Brian make up this words?
Post a Comment