Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Happy V-Day to Us!

As of today, I am 24 weeks into this pregnancy. On some of the blogs/boards I frequent, I've often heard this milestone referred affectionately to as "V-day," short for Viability Day. This is because the 24 week point is the first point at which, should I go into preterm labor, the NICU doctors and nurses will do everything they can to save my baby even though the odds might still not be quite in his favor. The fetus is now considered viable, whereas last week this time, it would not have been. I've heard that 24 weeks is the first week when most insurance policies will cover the procedures and techniques needed to save such a premature baby.

I suppose this is a relief in some sense, but in another, it's a little disturbing. A lot of the women on these blogs/boards get very excited about "V-day," but it's not really a happy thing, in my opinion. Yes, if I happened to go into labor at this point, the Doctors would try and save the baby. But the keyword there is "try." I'd prefer to keep "V-day" as something a little less celebratory, and pray that this baby makes it to full term.

Keep cooking little one! We're excited to meet you in 13 weeks, at the (we hope) earliest!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish that I could have the gift you have Kristeen to write so well. I can not express the proud feelings I have for you. You are such a beautiful woman (yikes!..it is hard to call your own daughter "woman")in so many ways. I know in my heart that you are going to be an unbelievably wonderful Mom. You and Brian will be the best...I feel it more everyday. Love you both...mom

Julie said...

I have never heard of V day.....sounds depressing. Way to bring down the blogosphere, Kristeen!

Anonymous said...

She did not bring down the blogosphere...my impression is that "V-day" is a blog type thing that Kristeen has heard of but does not really like either. Some "milestones" are good but this V-Day is not.

Erin said...

Reaching viability is great! As the mother of two premature infants, of course you don't want to have your baby yet, but if you did, he would have an 80+% chance of survival -- which is huge! For some women who have had miscarriages (especially late term miscarriages), this is a huge milestone because it means that in all likelihood, their baby WILL survive. So it is totally understandable that it is a milestone that you don't want to celebrate -- but I can see why other women might. I feel a little silly having written you an email congratulating you on reaching viability the other day now knowing you feel this way! :)

Kristeen said...

Oh Erin, don't feel silly! It's a good feeling to know that I've reached that day where viability is recognized. To me, it means that I WILL have a baby... that this little fantasy bean that's making me so fat is really there and is recognized by the medical world as a person worth helping... hope that make sense. It IS celebratory, I just wouldn't be celebrating if I actually went into labor this week.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

Kristeen-I 100% understand your blog. It is something to be thankful to have reached this far in the event that you do go into pre-term labor to have some (extremely) small sense of peace knowing that the doctors would do all that they can to help your little man. With so many uncertainties, it is nice to have a small guarentee, that doctors and the medical community will stop at nothing to help you and your baby.

I have never heard of V-day. But being that I have never expected, I am sure when it happens to me I will find more information about it. It is funny when you put days left into weeks. Your ticker says 111 days which seems like forever, but when you state how many weeks are left, it is like HOLY COW that is soon. (didn't mean to invoke panic).

Elaine

Kristeen said...

Thanks Elaine! It's the same kind of feeling as when you reach 12 weeks and the chance of miscarriage drops by a significant number. There are still no guarantees, but you can begin to relax a LITTLE more. I guess it just makes things a little more real.