
The decision regarding diapers was actually made quite a while ago, but we've just recently ironed out some of the details. We get a lot of eye-rolls and raised eyebrows when we tell people that we're going to try and ::Gasp!:: cloth diaper...but we feel strongly like this is the right decision for us.
When we found out I was pregnant, this was one of our first discussions. I've done a lot of research and found many advantages to Cloth Diapers (CD's), as well as many developments in the practice that just weren't around when we were little. There are a lot of things Brian and I do that aren't very "green," but I feel like this will (hopefully) be a small way for us to be a little more eco-conscious while saving money, another big bonus! We have a washer and dryer right here, so there's no excuse for us.
The plan is to use an eco-friendly disposable diaper for the first little while (we registered for a few bags of 7th Generation disposables-- chlorine free, so they don't leech chlorine into ground water in the landfill, and are less irritating to baby's skin.) Then, once we get the hang of having a baby to care for, I'd like to switch to basic prefold diapers. Rather than the old-school rubber pants I've heard so many wonderful things about :), we'll use Thirsties Covers. They're adorable, adjustable, PVC, Phthalate, lead and latex free, and they're pretty reasonably priced. This particular combination of cloth diaper choices would save us TONS of money.
Also, there is an option through the same websites I linked to above, to buy a 21-day trial package of cloth diapers. For a deposit of $105, you get 10 different cloth diapering products to try. Then you send everything you don't like/want back, and get everything but $10 returned to you. If you keep certain products, they just take that money out of your deposit. So the worst case scenario is that you're out of $10. With options like this, I just can't justify not trying it out. There are so many different kinds now, too. You don't even have to use pins anymore... there are little things called Snappis that secure a cloth diaper on safely and without the risk of poking baby or yourself.
Also, I found a great online-store that sells ALL these CD products, and the owner is local, from Baldwinsville, so she'll deliver or meet you somewhere rather than charging S&H. Babies R Us just doesn't sell quality cloth diapers or accessories-- bummer!
I'll let you all know how this goes once we try it, but I'm excited to do it!

8 comments:
Just as a reminder Kristeen...Baby Cool's grandma and great grandma LOVE doing diapers also!!! To us it is FUN to wash dry and fold diapers!!
I hope that the cloth diapers work out for you. You should definitely try that online place that will let you try all the different products. I know some women who have had great luck with Bum Genius -- a big initial investment, but definitely cost-saving over the long-run.
We tried the traditional cloth diapers (through a diaper service) for the first few weeks after the boys came home from the hospital, and it just didn't work for us. First, the boys were too small for even the preemie diapers to fit. Second, Sam apparently pees a lot and would leak out of the diapers, even with an extra insert, which meant a change of clothes with every diaper change. Third, in the fatigue that I felt (ha, still feel!), it was just too much to try to figure out. And so I gave up. I regret that now, I think we could have figured it out, but ... I am ready to start working with potty training (I'm not kidding!), I think that the boys might be ready to understand aspects of potty training. We shall see.
I have some diaper covers and those plastic diaper connectors (used in place of diaper pins) -- I'll send those to you along with the other baby stuff and maternity gear after my parents' visit on August 1.
I had to wear cloth diapers back in the day (old school style w/ the pins) because I was allergic to the scent in pampers. My feeling is if my mom can do this, then I can because she has ZERO patience for such things. The only thing she has told me that was a pain (back then) was when my dad would pin it, it would fall off because he didn't do it often. The ones now are a lot more modern and most do not have pins.
I think it is a great decision. I don't see how it takes much more time than regular diapers because as you said, you are already doing laundry. If you were having a boatload of kids then indeed it may take a lot of time you don't have, but I think doing diapers for one will not be a full time job (or so I hope because I will do using cloth diapers when the time comes as well).
Question: Have you found that daycares are willing to entertain cloth diapers? My friends around me have stated that a lot of daycares do not like when parents come with them.
Sorry it is so long--ELaine
Sounds like you have a free diaper service there Kristeen!! Bonus! Now you have NO excuse!
I'm so happy that our generation seems so open to the idea of cloth diapers. We are all moving away from all things disposable it seems. I love it!
I invested in BumGenius diapers. I hope they work! They got so many awesome reviews, that I figured I would go with them. Like Erin said, BIG initial investment (I paid $347 for 24 diapers...and I used a lot of coupons)but the average cost for disposables is $500-$700 per year! My main motivation is to save money, since I am not working. It is def a bonus that CDs are Earth friendly too!
As for the eye rolls.....yea, get used to them. Although we look to the generations before us for advice.....I find that pregnancy, labor, childbirth, etc... are not topics that they know much about. (as they apply to current practices) Things have changed in 20 years! According to my g-ma, it is worse for a baby to lay on its back than its stomach....AND she told me that the delivery room is no place for the husband....what? Am I just supposed to "go it alone"? right....
So, as long as you know why you are doing the things you are doing...and you have good reason, you can just give those eye rolls right back!
gulp! I guess I meant to say "things have changes in 30 years"....whoa.....remember when we thought 30 was "old"?
Wow, I feel like a horrible mom for being too lazy to figure out cloth diapers. I do admit I feel a twinge of guilt every time I throw away a Pamper ...
Funny story about the diaper service delivery guy. Apparently, this guy (he was probably 65) and his wife had volunteered on the gubernatorial campaign Roy run in 2002. One time when the diaper guy was at our house, Roy was home -- and it was like the diaper man was meeting a celebrity -- tongue-tied, totally in awe. I've seen people act like that towards politicians -- but never towards their campaign managers (especially not 6 years after the fact!). The diaper man started showing up at our house randomly, with calling first, without an appointment -- I think he was always hoping that Roy would be there so he could talk to him more about the campaign. At one point, after several unannounced trips, I'd had enough -- so my mom and I hid out in the guest bedroom with the two boys (who were 3 weeks old at the time) so that he wouldn't know we were there. We had to stifle out giggles as he called the house phone and my cell phone over and over again! I feel kind of badly about that now -- but c'mon, don't mess with a sleep-deprived new mom, especially the new mom of twins!! :)
Erin, seriously, if I were having twins I don't even know if I'd be entertaining the idea of cloth diapers... I'm intimidated to take this on even with one. I consider you to be one of the LEAST lazy people I know, and if I'd been in your situation, I would have started a stash of pampers the minute the word "twins" came out of my dr's mouth!
And Elaine-- I've heard that daycares don't do cloth unless they're an all-in-one style... Fortunately for me, my mom and her friend will be splitting daycare, so they'll work with me.
Post a Comment