Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pet Peeves - First Edition


While it's completely unrelated to pregnancy, I've decided to enlighten you all on some of my most frustrating pet peeves. I continue to discover these, even more so lately. Actually, maybe this is related to pregnancy and I'm just so hormonal that the little things are driving me crazy. Either way, my first pet peeve is P&C (in general).

I stopped at P&C today after spending some time in Target. I just needed a few things for dinner, so I figured that, logically, it would be faster to just stop in the next store over, than to drive all the way to the Wegmans by our house, which is consistently busy on Sundays. I was sorely mistaken. First of all, I don't really like P&C to begin with. I hate when you walk in and the store smells like cleaning product and bad fruit. Then, the produce section is terrible-- bruised, brown fruit and very little selection.

But the final straw today was the cashiers. P&C advertises now and then about their commitment to speedy check-outs... and it's crap! There were 3 regular registers open (on a Sunday!) and one express. Being the rule-following sucker that I am, I decided to patiently wait in the regular lane with my 15 groceries. I suppose I should admit that patience is not a strength of mine even on a good day (hence Brian's nickname for me, "Instant Gratification Girl,") but today was just ridiculous! The cashier scanned one item at a time, using only one hand. And he was SO interested in everything that was going on around him, that it took him twice as long to do this. He'd stop, look at the grocery he'd scanned, read the label and then do the same with the next item. It literally took me. about 20 minutes to get through his line. AND... and this is the kicker... he was picking his nose the entire time!! How vile is that?? I got to stand and watch his grossness for 20 minutes. And I had to bag my own groceries. Grr!

Maybe it's because of my too-long experience as a Wegman's employee but slow, ignorant, rude cashiers are one of my biggest pet peeves by far. Is it really that tough a job? Sheesh. Next time I'll drive the extra 10 minutes to Wegs in order to save a little pit of sanity. Okay, rant over. :)

5 comments:

Becky said...

I miss the efficency of Wegmans! Not just for the speedy check out but because I could go to just one store and get everything, rather than 5 or 6.

Anonymous said...

But what you really need to you ask yourself is....would he make great lookin' hypothetical children?!?!?!?

What I try to do to get me through those times is realize the bell curve of intelligence. If I am able to place the person where it allows me to provide more patience then I can make it through. For example, if I state well they are probably a 82 then I can say, I need to provide them with more time and unfortunately their boss is expecting too much of them. It is a reality that not everyone has average intelligence so I think it is a good coping skill that I have.

However I agree with you in your frustrations. I was in a grocery store before in Las Vegas and the woman was interested in the stuff my dad bought and then wanted a recipe after inquiring about the ingredients. She stopped being a cashier to write down the recipe. I doubt it was her first time being a recipe snatcher!!!!

Hope your day is better. -Elaine

Julie said...

i agree with the slowness of p&c cashiers. it is nice to live in a small town where people want to talk to me, but sometimes it is a bit much. i try to remember that it is better than westchester because, even though things go more quickly downstate, the people are so much more friendly around here.

lately, a grocery store pet peeve of mine is the "expectant mother parking". at wegman's (which i love) the expectant parking spot is close to the store....but far away from the cart corral. why? this totally defeats the purpose of the spot. sometimes i end up leaving the cart in the parking lot because i get annoyed with the location. i don't care if people see me do it! i can get away with those things right now:)

Erica said...

Tops has gotten really bad. One time I spent 20 minutes looking for aloe (in July!) and could not find it. Then, I had to wait for a cashier and manager looking person to finish their private conversation (after saying "excuse me" and getting a dirty look), then when I asked I was told, "yeah, if we have it its probably over there (hand swept toward the area that I just spend 20 min searching)... target might have it"!!!!! It is like that every time! Patience is not one of my virtues either, so I avoid it, even though it is two blocks from home. Thank god for Wegmans!

Erin said...

Although I love Wegmans, there's no way I could navigate around the millions of people who are ALWAYS in that store while pushing the stroller with one hand and pulling the cart with the other ...