
Yesterday was the day I decided to drop the "I'm going to have a baby" bomb on my principal. This was a pretty intimidating prospect, but obviously something I needed to do. Now, my principal has been very supportive of me thus far in all my undertakings, but as an nontenured employee, and being relatively new in the building, I feel like I need to be cautious. So all day long I would prowl around in the office and wait for a chance to talk to her when no one else was in her office. When the opportunity struck, I'd sneak in and start by asking her for something else. "Uh, Paula, can you sign this for me?" Then, I'd look at the clock (no idea why) and chicken out. I'd stall, then get all awkward and shaky and say "Okay thanks, talk to you later!" She must have known something was up, because I normally talk to her several times a day, but I'm also usually a lot more calm. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to do, right? But I guess I just felt like there should be some formal or more eloquent way of breaking this news than to just stop in and blurt it out.
Anyway, after about 8 attempts to tell her I finally did after after school once most of the other faculty had gone home. A good friend of mine who works with me threatened to drag me in and tell my news for me, so I figured I had better get it over with :) I think I said something like "Paula, I think it's about time that I tell you that I'm pregnant," and braced for whatever reaction came. Luckily, she squeeled, jumped out of her chair and ran around her desk to give me a giant hug. She was thrilled! She even praised me for choosing November as a time to be due because it will line up with my vacations well. (Yeah-- we totally planned that... ha!)
I did reassure her, also, that I would not be seeking to take more time off than the alloted 6 weeks (for a regular delivery) or 8 weeks (for a C-section). Maternity leave before tenure really sucks. If I had tenure, I could take up to 2 years off without my job being placed in any kind of jeopardy. But as I stand now, I get 6 or 8 weeks and have to use my Sick Time. This is unfortunate but Brian, who IS tenured and has tons of sick time, will probably take some time off after I return to work so that baby stays home a little longer. Our predicted daycare situation (that's for another post) helps as well, because we won't have to drop baby off at a big generic daycare.
Hooray for finally being able to share this news with my work people! We even got a cute little gift from Brian's co-teacher today. It's nice to be able to tell people and get more excited!

6 comments:
What you should have done is asked her to sign the paper and said, "oh wait I have this really cool pen" and then gave her the pregnancy test. Wait, actually that may be awkward to have her touch that considering where that has been.
I am glad that she was super supportive because I am sure she sensed your hesitation during the day. People we work with can definitely pick up quickly when we want to say something important. I am glad your co worker didn't have to drag you in there. Although that would have made a GREAT post.
Also, a "generic" daycare is my fear. I don't have options (in the future) and I too will only have a few weeks off. Can't wait to hear more!-Elaine
Congrats on getting that over with! I'm glad she was supportive. Do they hire a substitute for 6wks or just live without you?
I'm glad that telling the principal went smoothly -- I can see why you would be nervous! It's nice that Brian will be able to take some time off after the baby is born. I hated the generic daycare center we used last semester for the boys -- the people there were nice, but it was just horrible to leave my babies with random strangers all day long. I have so much respect for people who have no choice but to do that ...
I'm not sure if they'll hire someone or not... eventually I'll ask but it felt like it'd be overload yesterday. I kind of hope they don't--I'm very possessive of my kids, and I feel like no stranger could get to know them like I do! As for daycare, I'm all about it-- but I feel like 6 weeks would be SO early to drop him/her off. I don't know if I could do it.
You are going to get so fat that you won't even notice if you sit on a fork or not. Better stock up just to be safe.
Oh Kristeen, just you wait.. You think your possessive of your 'kids' now?? wait, just wait! I had no idea how deep and wide the feeling would be that no one else could properly care for my child... no idea...
Post a Comment