
Brian and I originally made the decision to start trying around July of 2009. This way we'd end up being due around May of 2010 and my maternity leave could continue into the summer. We changed what we referred to as "The Plan" when I was asked to be a part of a close friend's wedding in April of 2010. The wedding will be in Kentucky, so I wanted to be sure I could make it. She was my first close friend when we moved to NY in 5th grade, and she flew in from Japan for my wedding, so from the moment she asked me I've felt like there's no way I'd miss this wedding.
So in February, we decided we'd "Not try, but not try to avoid either." We figured it would take us at least a couple of months, but I guess God had different plans for us. The night I tested was just a formality. I'd been crampy the entire week before, and thought that any day I'd have concrete proof that we weren't pregnant. However, I was going to wine and cheese a happy hour for School Psychologists the following day. (I'm not a School Psych, but a bunch of my friend are). I would have liked to have a glass of wine there, but didn't want to do it without knowing for sure that I was safe.
Now, I've never had to test before, so I was terrified. Just trying to hold the stupid little stick and "aim" correctly was test in itself with my shaky hands and rapid, panicky breathing, even though I KNEW I wasn't pregnant. I finished the task, and decided to just set the test on the sink for the 10 minutes that I thought it took for the lines to form. (Wrong again, Cool!!). I went about making myself decent and washing my hands, but happened to inadvertently glance down at the test. (Come on, it's like a trainwreck.... even if you really don't want to look, you can't help it!) Well, after the whole 45 seconds it had been sitting there, it had two big dark lines, indicating that I was, in fact, pregnant. So then, because I'm a logical girl I decided that I would leave it there, because if it really took 10 minutes (hello? Denial?) maybe the "true" results would show up in 10 minutes (Read: Negative.) Here's a big surprise-- I was still pregnant :)
I told Brian a f
ew minutes later-- curse him for not guessing!! He knew I was testing and I figured he'd know the minute he saw my blood-drained, panicky, terrified self. Nope! He was a little shocked but very excited. "The Plan" we'd created for June or July was now getting started a good 4 months early, but we'd already agreed that we'd probably never truly be ready, and that our best option was just to "jump in" and learn as we go. And that's just what we're doing now!

6 comments:
I am so excited that I have another blog to follow! I hope that you have a girl!!! (sorry Brian)
I called to Roy from the bathroom (he had no idea I was testing) and tossed the positive pregnancy test at him. So much for a romantic, planned out "telling" to the husband, eh?
Eeeew! You peed on the stick! That's nasty! Just kidding. Congratulations on the baby!
i am soooo happy for you guys! YAHOOOOOOO!!!! you must call me. we must talk. margaritas are on hold until after baby Cool arrives-- but that's okay-- we can eat ice cream! or pickles and caffeine free pepsi... hehehe. :)
I'm with Julie, I'll be very surprised if this baby ISN'T a girl... I have always thought of you having a girl first. Don't forget! you are planning on naming her Colleen so we can match.
I am the Grandma and I am so happy and content for both Kristeen and Brian. The first child will be loved whether it be a girl (Colleen..I love) or not. I will be such a proud and extremely happy Grandma as long as my daughter and Brian are thrilled and happy!
Post a Comment