
Well, after weeks of hopefulness alternating with dread and anticipation, it's finally begun-- the late pregnancy swelling I had hoped I would avoid. I swear, just last week both my mother and grandmother told me that they had never had any swelling in their pregnancies (my mom now denies this but I KNOW she said it...). I thought maybe I had been genetically spared this particular discomfort. But alas, Thursday, at 33 weeks exactly, I learned two things: 1) that I had clearly not avoided the swelling, and 2) my mom did in fact swell-- and not just her feet... her entire legs.
And that is where I am now. I noticed it the other night at our L&D class. I hiked up my pant leg to scratch and though oh my... my calves seem to be a little swollen! In truth, they were just a little swollen. It was a good couple of hours later when I caught a glimpse of myself in the full length mirror (curse that full length mirror) while getting ready for bed that I noticed -- or maybe I should say didn't notice -- my knees. They are gone. My legs in their entirety are a bit swollen. Great! By bedtime these days, I officially look like a pregnant woman resting atop a tree stump.
On a positive note that will surely get me threatening comments from Becky and quite possibly Julie, I will say that I'm thankful to be experiencing this particular part of the pregnancy miracle in October. I am no longer surviving in hot weather, so skirts, dresses, and capris have officially been retired. While I have dresses I'd love to wear and still may, I can easily hide my legs and ankles under pants.

1 comment:
my mother in law claimed to never be swollen....and perhaps that is why she made it a point to talk about my "swolleness" everytime she saw me. try to stay strong....no matter how rude people can be about it!
and, no, i would NEVER threaten you....maybe if you started showing off at yoga, but that's it. (and i am looking forward to hearing why you hate yoga now!) let's see that tree pose now!
i love the cankles poster LOL!
Post a Comment