Most of my life, I've been somewhat of a wall flower. Much less in the past few years, but I've always preferred to be the silent observer rather than the center of attention. I don't often like to stand out in anyway; I'd rather casually blend in. I'm not shy, and I definitely speak up when I feel it's necessary, but I am definitely an introvert and I prefer not to be singled out.
Well, pregnancy doesn't really allow for that.
My love of bagels has led to frequent trips to Bruegger's Bagels on the way to work in the morning. I'd say at my "peak" I was hitting them up 3 days a week for a bagel. Of course, I'm always there at the same approximate time (between 7:00 and 7:30 am), so I see a lot of the same staff. I guess I assume that they don't ever remember me. Well, a few weeks ago, this belief was finally proven wrong. I walked in, the woman smiled at me and said "Everything bagel with onion and chive? Untoasted?" That's me. I am officially "that girl" at the bagel store. Not surprisingly, my giant craving for bagels has subsided.
Then, last week, I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts before my knitting class, which starts at 6:00pm. Now, this was maybe the second time I'd stopped to get coffee before knitting (Decaf, of course) and the guy a the window said "Wow, you really like this coffee, huh?" What?! I assume he recognized me from a few morning trips I'd made too. I felt a little weird being pointed out, like he thought I was some coffee addict. I thought to myself, good thing I like Tim Horton's better anyway.
But alas, last week I made a pit stop at Timmy's on my way to work in the morning, and realized that apparently I'm some form of celebrity there as well. I walked in after having not been in for at least a few weeks, and all three girls who were working came to the counter and gave me the old familiar line, "Oh hi! You haven't had your baby yet??" They said they hadn't seem me in a while... seriously?
Does being pregnant make me such a sideshow that somehow I am recognizable all over Central New York? It's really not a big deal but remember the part about me not really liking attention? Well it is now uncomfortable for me to go to my 3 favorite places!! Sheesh :)

5 comments:
Pretty soon you will go back to the background and the baby will be the star!!!
Ha, Elaine is right! Once you have the baby, the baby will get attention or people will go back to ignoring you. For some reason, people just love a pregnant lady!
yes I third that one..even your blog will get less traffic.. I seriously lost a few readers once I wasn't preggers anymore.
yea, i am beginning to wonder if i will be getting any non-baby x-mas presents this year! it's all about annabelle these days:)
LOL! i just saw that "i'm a freak of nature" os one of your labels...you are too much.
Post a Comment