Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, October 9, 2009

I know it's irrational, but...

It still scares me!! I've been having a lot of irrational fears lately, so I thought I'd post about them to maybe relieve them a bit... and possibly have my wonderful friends tell me how dumb I'm being-- that I have nothing to worry about! (?)

1. That I will never shrink back to my previous self. I know that all it will take is some smart eating and exercise, but really-- that wasn't me before or during this pregnancy. I haven't gained that much, and fortunately most of it is in my belly and not elsewhere, but still, it's a very scary thought! What if I never find the motivation? Or I'm left with post-baby bulges that just don't go away?

2. That I'll go into labor and never even know it. This, I know, might be the most irrational of my fears. Becky very politely informed me the other day that it is impossible... However, I watch TV, and since everything you see on TV is true (duh) I have a fear of being one of those girls on shows like "I didn't know I was pregnant" who throw up once, then head to the doctor's office only to find out that they're 8cm dilated and in active labor. Hey, it could happen.

3. That I'll go into labor, head to the hospital, only to find out that all their L&D beds are full. St. Joe's only has 8 beds... Eight!! That seems pretty small, right? We took the tour last night, and I guess I thought they'd have more. The Birth Place has 3 additional beds, but you can't get in there unless you planned it from way back. What would I do, give birth on a cot in the hallway??

4. That I'll die in the process. I read too many birth stories. I need to stop!!

5. That this baby will not value and pursue education. Brian and I are both in the Education field, so we clearly believe in public education and value the results of it. Despite paying a ridiculous amout of student loans each month, neither of us would give up any part of our educations, and we hope our baby grows up feeling the same way. What would we do if our child hated school, or was one of those very intelligent but unmotivated kids?

6. That I'll forget to feed the baby. This stems from a dream I've had many times, and is definitely the most irrational. Even knowing how irrational it is though, I still worry about it.

4 comments:

Julie said...

cooligan will not let you forget to feed him....did you see the pic of annabelle crying in my last blog?!

we all have fears, i had mine. i was afraid that annabelle was going to be ugly. which is a petty fear. unfortunately sometimes these things are beyond our control...but you and brian are going to be such loving parents, and that is the most important thing:)

i cannot wait to meet coolio. that is his new name btw.

Becky said...

1) This is probably true! HA. But, honestly it won't be as bad and you are thinking. You will probably have weight distributed differently but it will be ok. If not you can take the money mentioned below and buy your old body back.
2) I think you have better odds of winning the lottery. So here, if you get to 8cm and don't know it. I will personally GIVE YOU $1000! That is how sure I am that this is NOT going to happen.
3) If this happened frequently there would be more than 8 beds. The hospital will work it out. Or you can sue them! No biggie.
4)I will not allow this to happen. END OF STORY.
5)Can't help you with this one. I also have this fear. But the other four you can check off and be done with.

Good? okay good.

Becky said...

Oops I missed #6. We'll get you a timer, you can make it beep if it has been longer than X number of hours. Also a non-issue. Go back to worrying about #5.

Anonymous said...

Somehow this post was missed by me.

I think not having your pre-birth body is all in the motivation. If the stars can do it then it can be done, maybe not as quickly but it can be done.

I agree with Becky if they normally had an abundance of people giving birth and ran out of beds they would add beds.

Most kids that do not value education are because parents do not instill the value and blame educators rather than support us in our endeavors to help their children. I would not be fearful of this at all. I think our children will fear student loans more than school itself!!!

You will NEVER forget to feed the baby long enough to cause harm. You may not be exactly X number of hours but he will let you know when he is hungry and if not I think your body will tell you "PUMP ME!!!"

Do not watch tv shows b/c they do tell you scary things!!!

Also I am going to keep Becky's thoughts in mind and when it is my turn I will hold out until 8 CM if I can get $1000--- (wink). I think if you don't know you are in labor until 8CM you are darn lucky!!!

I think any fear is normal b/c this is a new stage in life!!! It is great to talk about your fears to get perspectives from people who have gone through this before.

Elaine