Over the Fourth of July weekend, we went to Buffalo to visit Brian's Grandma and Grandpa Shear. Brian's cousin, Aaron, was visiting from Ohio. We hardly ever get to see him, and we wanted to meet his girlfriend Kris, so West we went!
Packing for our two day trip was difficult. We've only really traveled with Carter once -- to Kentucky for Becky and Nate's wedding back in April. (Which I still look back at and think "how in the world did we survive that with a 5-month old?!) It was way more difficult than it should have been to figure out how many onesies to bring, what outfits would work for Carter and so on. Luckily, he helped out:
Buffalo proved to be a lot of fun, as we knew it would be. A gathering with the Shear Family is always sure to provide many laughs, a good number of "oh-my-gosh-did-you-really-just-say-that" groans, and a few silent-but-loaded glimpses between family. We also got to visit with Carter's Uncle Dan and Aunt Taryn, and spend some time at our Alma Mater.
As much as we hate to admit it, one of the best parts of our visit (because we're shamefully boring) was being able to stay in a hotel. We love the family, and some of my own best Buffalo memories are of Brian and I "camping" in G&G Shear's living room with Aaron and his brother Adam, or having game night with that group... but that was pre-parenthood, and having a baby who sleeps well is at the top of our priority list now. We elected to stay at Brian's Sister's hotel for supercheap (thanks Melissa!) in order to keep Carter on his bedtime schedule. The bed was comfy, the AC was a Godsend, and the boy slept like a... well, like a baby :)
I'll leave you with some pictures of our method for corralling Carter while we were packing or getting ready for the day, because I just think they're too cute not to share:
Peek-a-boo! Peeking over my pillow-cage.
It was so fun in the pillow cage, he didn't even care that we were ignoring him to get ready.


As much as we hate to admit it, one of the best parts of our visit (because we're shamefully boring) was being able to stay in a hotel. We love the family, and some of my own best Buffalo memories are of Brian and I "camping" in G&G Shear's living room with Aaron and his brother Adam, or having game night with that group... but that was pre-parenthood, and having a baby who sleeps well is at the top of our priority list now. We elected to stay at Brian's Sister's hotel for supercheap (thanks Melissa!) in order to keep Carter on his bedtime schedule. The bed was comfy, the AC was a Godsend, and the boy slept like a... well, like a baby :)
I'll leave you with some pictures of our method for corralling Carter while we were packing or getting ready for the day, because I just think they're too cute not to share:

4 comments:
I love the pillow cage! In the second to the last picture, he looks like he has scrubs on! I am glad you all had so much fun in Buffalo with Brian's family and was able to see Uncle Dan and Aunt Taryn. :)
I am glad you had a fun time--I agree that a well rested baby makes for well rested parents so I think sleeping at a hotel is a great idea. In the future you can go back to camping out at the family's house.
What did you do at Canisius?
Every single time we make a random 2 day trip somewhere I promise myself that the NEXT time I'm going to write a packing list to use every time I pack so that I never have to think about it again. I have yet to write that list and we travel nearly once a month. It does get easier.
umm... I'm starting to think your kid is cuter than mine. Does that make me a bad parent?
Post a Comment