I won't lie to you... there have been many a Thursday night when I watch the clock and wait for 7:30 to roll around so that we can start your bedtime routine and get you to bed. I love you endlessly, but you are a cranky little buzzard when you're tired, and it's difficult sometimes to get everything done by myself when Daddy's at volleyball on Thursdays.
Tonight was not one of those nights. In fact, it was quite the opposite. Tonight, I wish I could have kept you up for the whole night just to spend a little more time with you.
You were such a sweet little baby tonight. You sat on the living room floor with me and happily played with your toys, looking over every now and then to make sure I was still there and smiling up at me when you were reassured. You didn't yell at me, even though I was absorbed in an episode of The Office when I should have been giving you my full attention. You laughed hysterically at all my silly songs and faces, and even when I rolled you up and down my legs like a log so many times I thought you might puke :) And when you got tired, instead of getting really cranky, you got cuddly... and OH how I love a cuddly baby!!
Then, you squirmed and laughed and smiled and babbled through your bath while I accidentally poured water (and soap!) over your face several times. Even when I took you out of the tub, put you on the changing table and got you dressed, you stayed cute and chirpy. Maybe you liked my songs about diapers -- I don't know -- but these are things that send you over the edge every other night.
A friend of mommy's is going through an unspeakably tragic time right now, and sometimes it takes a tragedy for us to open our eyes and really see all the wonderful things in our lives. Tonight, I was reminded of how incredibly lucky I am to have a happy, healthy baby; and if I had my way, I would have played with you and held you all night long. I love you very much, Carter, and I always will -- even when our nights don't go quite as well.
Love always,
Mommy ♥

2 comments:
don't you just love the cute moments?!!
yesterday morning while i was feeding annabelle her bottle, she stopped drinking and looked up at me. she made a kissy face and i gave her a little kiss on the mouth. (she is just starting to do this) just wait until he gives you kisses! it is great!
I wish we had had computers when you and Dan were this young. It would have read pretty much the same way. I loved every minute of those days!
Mom
Post a Comment