Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Carter: 7 Months

My little baby is 7 months old!! I can't believe it. He's so fun right now... we're loving this age and if we could, we'd keep him at 7 months for a whole lot longer.

This month has been an eventful one for Carter. He's gone on countless walks and has started a bunch of new things. Grandma Cool passed away on May 21st, so Carter also attended his first funeral. We were really torn on what to do with regards to this. On one hand, we wanted to bring Carter -- there are a lot of people on the Cool side of the family (insert "Cool" joke here...) hadn't met him yet, and we figured a happy baby would lighten the mood. On the other hand, it was a 90 degree day, there'd be no real opportunity for a nap, and who'd watch him? We decided to bring him and, low and behold, he was absolutely perfect. He sat in the back of the church with our friend Priscilla and slept for the entire Catholic mass without making a peep. (This from the boy who doesn't nap for more than 30 minutes at home...) Then,at a luncheon between the mass and the burial, he was all sorts of happy and stayed that way as we passed him around and stood for pictures. Finally, at the burial when it was 90+ outside, he sat happily in his car seat and cooed the whole time. The boy didn't cry all day... we were so proud of him. It was a sad, but beautiful day, and getting to experience it with our son made all the difference.

Anyway, onto happier things!
Likes:
  • Jumping! All the time, everywhere, on anything... even when he's crying.
  • Moving so much, and so fast that his pictures end up like this:
  • Rolling over. He's mastered rolling from back to belly and does it ALL.THE.TIME.
  • Sitting up. He's nearly mastered it this month.
  • Tummy sleeping. This makes us a little nervous, but we are powerless to stop it. Carter has begun to roll onto his belly as he falls asleep and even if we go in and flip him, he winds up there. I'm not too worried -- he's pretty strong and even though he's not usually successful at rolling the other way, he can lift his head and move any obstacles.
  • His mesh feeder... he tried it for the first time yesterday at Grandma Nancy's and I'm told he screamed like a banshee when she took it away because he was finished.
  • Yogurt. We introduced it yesterday and it was a huge hit.
  • Squash of all kinds, sweet potatoes, peaches, apples, bananas, oatmeal, and carrots.
  • Gretta! He's become all to aware of the cat... the elusive, very exciting cat. He'll stop what he's doing and just STARE at her (as she promptly runs away.)
Dislikes:
  • Diaper changes. What the heck?! For months now we've used the changing table as a last resort to make him happy. Now he hates it. I'm sure it's temporary, but man is it frustrating!
  • Peas and green beans. He's turning out to be like Mommy with regards to the green stuff so far.
  • Getting dressed... still a struggle every single day. Doesn't help that his head is in the 95th percentile and putting a shirt on this kid is like trying to squeeze a golf ball through a button hole.
  • Naps (::sigh::) We're still working on this.
  • Sitting still. I'm very afraid for Gretta and all breakable things in our house... when this kid starts to crawl, we're all in trouble.
  • Having remotes/cell phones/non-toys of any kind taken away. Not good.
  • Being stuck on his belly. It's hilarious, though, and I quite enjoy watching it until he reaches his breaking point.
Mommy Knowledge of the Month:
  • I really might have the world's happiest baby, I think.

4 comments:

Becky said...

awww! I love reading about this kid! In regard to food, try Broccoli! Colin was also not a fan of green beans or peas in puree form, but for one reason or another the kid LOVED broccoli. Now he likes peas but won't touch broccoli. Go figure.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I am glad that you all were able to enjoy the day as a family, despite it being a very sad occasion. I am sure the family loved having Carter there even if he would have had a meltdown or two. I have meltdowns myself on 90 degree days.

What is the advantage/use of a mesh feeder?

Kristeen said...

Elaine -- I guess there really isn't an advantage, really. You can stick slices of fruit in there so they can gnaw on it and not get any chunks. We though it might help with teething (still no teeth!). When he first tried it, it was just a super hot, uncomfortable day. It was like a baby Popsicle :)

Erin said...

The pictures are so cute! I think he looks a lot like Brian, but I see a lot of YOU in the last picture!

Have you tried zucchini? You might be surprised, my boys liked that a lot (and still do!) -- I think it is less bitter than some other green vegetables.