
One of my favorite things to do has always been to read the Sunday paper. I often dream about my absolute ideal morning, which looks a little something like this: I'm in comfy sweats; curled up on the couch on our sun porch with a cup of hot, hazelnut creamer-sweetened French Roast coffee (in my favorite mug, of course); reading through the paper and listening to the sound of birds, feeling the breeze, and not worrying about anything beyond the next 10 minutes of solitude.
For obvious reasons, this
dream is just that... Sunday mornings are actually spent scrambling to warm a bottle before the inevitable morning meltdown, and moving Carter from place to place to keep him entertained and happy.
But dreams can change...

A few Sundays ago, Brian had to leave the house for whatever reason, so instead of reading the paper at all, I parked myself on the floor next to Carter (although I did make sure I had my coffee!) and prepared to entertain by whatever means possible. As it turns out, Carter's ideal Sunday morning is similar to mine.
He "read" the paper for quite a while. Carter, however, prefers the sale ads, and cared very little about any of the weighty news sections.

I guess all I really needed was to realize my dream from a new vantage point... a re-frame of sorts. Maybe I don't get my solitude, or to read the entire paper, or even to drink my coffee while it's hot. But there'll be time for that later. What I get now, and I'm fortunate to have it, is quality time with the cutest baby on earth, and the kind of solitude that comes with knowing that this is where I'm
supposed to be... lying on the floor playing with my son and enjoying every moment I have with him.
3 comments:
Carter loves my favorite part of the paper. I only read the ad section.
Glad you both are able to share in something that you love but you have found a new way to enjoy it that you never thought you would have before.
It's great that you were able to reframe your perception of what a perfect Sunday morning is -- and just think, in 18 years when Carter is off at college, I'll bet you will think longingly of these Sunday mornings, and the quiet stillness that allows you to enjoy your coffee and newspaper won't seem so ideal anymore!
Maybe one day will will be able to share that "perfect Sunday" with Carter where the both of you read the paper and enjoy a coffee together. Great pictures also!!!! He is absolutely adorable.
Post a Comment