Carter has a cold.
Again.
Presumably, he picked it up at daycare, but who knows really. Brian and I both work with germy kids so it could have come from anywhere. We decided not to call the doctor on this one because last time (which wasn't that long ago!) they told us we just needed to wait it out, essentially, that there was nothing they could do. He has no fever, no diarrhea, and overall, he's the same excessively squirmy, smiley kid he always is.But then last night I swear I heard wheezing and this morning my suspicions were confirmed.
Now, I'm a little paranoid about wheezing, having been born into a lineage of Asthmatics, and I wasn't going to take a chance -- so we took Carter in to see his pediatrician. Of course he was the happiest most sociable little kid ever while we were there, so he must not have been feeling too bad. Dr. Rosser heard the wheezing too, and upon my telling her that I have asthma, decided to give Carter a breathing treatment via the nebulizer to see if it would help. My heart sank at the thought of my little boy with a nebulizer mask on his face. I really really hope this boy doesn't inherit the asthma, and that the breathing treatment would make no difference -- that the real issue behind the wheezing was the phlegm and mucus that he doesn't know how to get rid of.
But it did help. Dr. Rosser must have seen the panic on my face because she quickly explained that this doesn't mean he's got asthma, it just means it's helping to break up the mucus and open up his airways.
So, for the next week we have to giver Carter treatments at least twice a day. He's been a trooper so far and we're finding ways to help make it easier for him. I really hope this helps and that he can breathe easy again soon.


4 comments:
He is just so darn cute! Even under stress he has a smile. I so love that child! Grandma nancy
Man that baby is happy all the time. You are very lucky to have such a compliant baby.
I hope he gets better quickly. Does he go to a center daycare? I knew your mom watched him but I wasn't sure where he went the remainder of the week.
He is so cute and always looks so happy!
Try not to worry too much about Carter having asthma -- like the doctor said, it helps break up that congestion and allows for easier breathing. I don't have asthma, but when I was in the hospital before I had the boys, I got pneumonia, and had to have 2 breathing treatments each day. It made a huge difference! Does it make Carter seem jumpy or excitable? I remember it made my heart race, and it made teh babies go totally crazy, which was interesting, seeing they were still in-utero!
Hope he is feeling better soon! Do you have a humidifier in his room?
I think he loves the new treatment. Looks like he is trying to hold on tight to it. "Come on guys, give me that baby crack!" ahhh..
He looks a lot like Brian in the last pic on the changing table.
Post a Comment