But, there was also bad news.
He's had a little bump on his butt for a week or so now. It started out small, and colorless. We were concerned, and added it to our list of questions for Brian to ask at today's appointment. Over the past day or two, that bump got bigger, and this morning is was dark red and nasty looking.
Turns out, it's a boil. Brian said that the doctor called in two of the other pediatricians at the practice, and they collectively decided that they couldn't do much to treat Carter there, and sent him to Crouse Hospital, warning Brian that they'd most likely admit Carter and keep him for a few days.
Once Brian was at Crouse, the doctors there decided they'd need to start Carter on IV antibiotics, then give him a general anesthesia and lance the boil. This would require a 2-3 day stay. Apparently, in an act of God, as soon as they determined all this, the boil started to drain on it's own. (Insert sigh of relief here.) Carter was prescribed antibiotics and hot compresses for the next 10 days. He seems to be fine now, but we've got a call into the after-hours triage nurse because he's super sleepy, and doesn't have much of an appetite. These two things are the opposite of the Carter's usual behavior.
It's been a rough day. His appointment was at 9:00 this morning, and by 11:30 when I hadn't heard from Brian, I was starting to panic. Knowing what I know now, I'm glad he waited until Carter's course was determined to call me. Just hearing that he almost had to stay at the hospital sent me reeling and rendered me pretty useless at work the rest of the day. I realize that he's fine, but it's SO hard to see your child in pain and know that there's not much you can do. I also know that this is the first in what will be a lifetime of worries and scares. I'm just thankful that my baby is home with me and that he has such a cool, capable daddy who can handle days like this on his own!

3 comments:
Way to go Brian for waiting until he had information for calling. I know I would have called as soon as I heard the news and wish I could stay composed under stress. I am so glad to hear that it started to drain just in time. Poor lil' man---does it seem to be causing him pain?
Poor Carter, and poor Mommy. How did Brian handle all of that? I looked up boil on the Mayo Clinic webpage, and it said that fatigue is often associated with a boil (I guess because of the infection?) -- but I hope the triage nurse calls you back quickly. Are you able to give him Tylenol or anything to help relieve his pain?
Carter, Mom and Dad have been through a lot! He is such an angel and his Mom and Dad are the best.
Post a Comment