It's time to admit this to myself. While we've honestly loved it so far, we may have come to the end of the road with cloth diapers.
A while back, we noticed Carter's little bum getting red. We weren't sure if it was diaper rash or not, since diaper rash isn't supposed to be common in cloth diapered babies. So, we just started letting Carter "air out" for a while longer during diaper changes so that he was completely dry before being covered with a diaper again. But alas, this didn't help. The only thing that's worked is to put him in disposables for several days and slather him with diaper cream. (Diaper cream on a cloth diaper would cause it to repel water rather than absorb.) That's all fine and good, but it defeats the goals of the cloth all together:
Goal 1: Save money. Building our cloth diaper stash was expensive, but it was a one time cost. Now, on top of that, we're buying disposables (and Brian ONLY likes the pricey Pampers) at least every other week.
Goal 2: Be more ecologically responsible. Not only are we throwing out disposables left and right now, we're still using the water and energy to launder the cloth.
We've thought about this endlessly. It's not the detergent we use, because he'd be developing the irritation anywhere the wet diaper touches him. It's not the diaper being too tight (YOU try making those pre-folds tight... nearly impossible.) It's not only wetness, because he's wet all over in the cloth, and again, the rash is very butt-specific (haha.) It's not the wipes, because they don't seem to bother him in the disposables. We're going to try a few other things before we really give up. California Baby makes a cloth-diaper-safe cream that we'll try, and we may try to make diaper liners out of old t-shirts, so that the cream isn't actually touching the diaper.
When all is said and done, I'd rather admit defeat then let Carter continue to develop a painful rash and irritation. It's hard to stop when we had so many people tell us we wouldn't be able to do it but, after all, this is about the well-being of our son, not our stubborn pride. (Even though I have to grit my teeth when I say that...) :)

6 comments:
If you want to try them I have g-diapers in the wee size at my moms. I can ask her too look for them. I think I still have a bag of leftover inserts for that size too I'll have to check.. I think you can use prefolds inside g-s, or something similar. So you wouldn't have to do the flushable/disposible option all the time.
He will likely grow out of this issue so it isn't a permanent switch to disposables even if you have to switch for a few months.
I appreciate the offer, Bec, but unfortunately I think that the prefolds are the problem, not the covers. And honestly, If I'm going to buy flushable inserts, I feel like I may as well just buy diapers. Granted, flushable is more eco-friendly, but the cost is just not something we're willing to take on. Especially when we've got daycare to consider.
I am proud of you that you tried it out! You can save the earth in other ways. Your baby's needs are the priority!
I think it is good for kids to be around other people than their parents all day. They want a break as much as you do!
Glad your first week bad was a great one! Maybe even over the summer you can day him to day care once a week to get errands done or just veg in your jammies all day! :P
Oh and if you don't have one already get a BJ's card... you will save money buying diapers in bulk! There are coupons all the time in toys r us and/or target for them also.
It is funny that you guys like Pampers... We are a Huggies family ourselves but everyone has their preference.
Is the rash bothering him? Ben will get what looks like a HORRIBLE rash -- to the point where I would probably cry -- but he doesn't seem to notice one way or the other. If it isn't hurting him, maybe not worry about it too much? Ask the ped at the 2 month appt!
I think that as long as Carter is healthy and happy then you have made the right decision. You are not deciding to stop cloth diapers because of the work (although if you did people would understand) but rather to ensure that Carter's rash does not get worse.
Perhaps it is a small change or perhaps it is temporary but either way it seems like you are trying everything you can at this point.
I hope the rash clears up soon!!
Post a Comment