The worst days were Saturday and Sunday. Looking back, I think I thought about the whole situation in a very negative light. All I could think about was leaving my child. Looking back, I think I worked myself up so much that the actual event couldn't possibly have measured up to my horrific expectations. I got a little weepy, but on Monday morning when the ball was actually set in motion, I did it and was absolutely fine.
I hate to say it, but it's actually quite a relief to be back at work. It's my "normal," and it's a huge part of who I am. I love my job, and while I love my son SO much more, I'm a better mom now that I have that part of me back. The 5 or so hours we spend awake together at night are much more quality, I believe, than the 8 hours I used to spend alone with him, frustrated and tired and waiting for Brian to come home and relieve me.
Work has been great. I love my coworkers, and my kids are great. I felt like a total celebrity this week... my students streamed in and out of my office literally all day long, all week long. I got no paperwork or office work done at all. They screamed my name in the hallway when they saw me back the first time. They rushed to come down and tell me all that had happened since I'd been gone-- good things, bad things, weird things... it's cute to see them SO eager to tell me about all these happenings. I absolutely love them.
And finally, it's been great to get to my mom's house, where Carter has been spending his days, and see him so ridiculously smiley. He clearly loves being there, and smiles each time he hears my mom or grandfather's voice. It's reassuring to know he loves it, and that they love him as much as I do.

4 comments:
Geeze, it took you long enough! I've been waiting to hear how the first week went. I'm so glad things went so well!
Kim
I am glad to hear that work is able to keep you busy and that you can enjoy the same excitement that Brian experienced when he would get home (all the giggles etc). I am sure all the students missed you tons and it can takes week to catch up on all the gossip.
I am so glad that you are doing well mentally with the change of going back to work.
Glad everything is working out. Pretty soon you'll be an old pro! Isn't it wonderful that there is always something new to learn in life and there is NEVER a dull moment. Love to you and Brian and Carter.
Aunt Stephanie
i bet grandma is in her glory watching little carter. i think my mom would kidnap annabelle if she could.
Post a Comment