I answered her honestly and said that it wasn't really a reality for me until the night my water broke... and even that was more of an "OH sh*t" moment than anything else. Now, even when I drive by St. Josephs, with a baby in my backseat, I still don't always believe that it all happened. I really make no connection between my pregnancy -- the months of exhaustion,the giant bump that was my midsection for so long, the swollen everything -- and the baby that is now such a huge, overwhelming part of our lives.
So the other night, when Brian and I were discussing how we want to organize the back room of our house, I suggested leaving space for a small desk or table so that -- and I quote -- "someday when we have kids, we can have the computer downstairs in a common area." And then it hit me... we have kids now!
I found out I was pregnant on March 12th last year... and I think I may have just had my "ah-ha" moment.

4 comments:
Perhaps you have many ah-ha moments in life when different stages of being a parent hit you because you are forced with that reality. Like I am sure when your kids start kindergarten, when they date, when they get accepted to college, when they go off to college, when they get engaged, when they get married, when they have kids. I am sure all of those large as well as many small moments are all ah-ha moments in life because it is a new stage for you as a person and as a mother.
Elaine
Kristeen... I still look at Lukas and wonder how he got here.
Wait until it is Mother's Day and you get a card... I am a mother? why did I get a card?... still hasn't sunk in.
I even have a hard time saying "my son"... I just refer to him as Lukas.
i know what you mean. annabelle will be 6 months very soon. i cannot believe that i have a 6 month old baby! and you will have one too!!
Grandma's experiences the same sort of feelings. It is so hard to look at my daughter and accept that she is not only married but she is now a mother. Being a grandmother is something I have always looked forward to. When I hold Carter and look into his eyes, I feel so complete and emotional. Just makes me realize how very much I love my children.
Post a Comment