Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I Thought I Was One of The Lucky Ones...















But I'm not. I have ...((Gasp))... stretchmarks :(

All throughout pregnancy, I watched for them. Religiously. Obsessively. After showers, getting ready for bed, in the mirror as I got ready in the morning, I checked myself over to see if I'd gotten any. Not so much because I was afraid of them; I certainly have a few from gaining and losing weight in the past, but because I was curious as to when and where they'd appear, and mildly dreading the possible appearance of more.

I literally checked up until the morning of the day we went to the hospital and proceeded to have Carter. None, whatsoever.

Then, today, I found them. I was in a dressing room, trying on a sweater. I had raised my arms up to stick them in the sleeves, and so my flabby, post C-section belly skin was raised up (what a mental picture, right?) and they were there. Not many of them, but enough to see without looking specifically for them. Funny thing is, (and this is why this post will be found under the "I'm a Freak of Nature" label) that they're located on the one part of my stomach that didn't stretch. The lower, fatty part of my belly (again, great visual...) that I've always called my "Paunch" or "Pooch." How does that happen??

Am I upset? No, not really. I'm not a bikini wearer (ha) so I don't feel like my wardrobe is any more limited than it was before. Plus, there are a few upsides. First, I feel like they are a rite-of-passage to some extent. I'm a mom now, I should have stretchmarks. Battle scars, baby! Secondly, people who previously hated me for not having them (Kristy) might stop hating me now since I've earned my stripes (literally) as a post-pregnancy woman.

5 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

If stretchmarks mean you join the mother club then I joined at age 12/13. I have had stretch marks on my thighs/hips since I was a tween so for me when it is my time to get pregnant I say "bring it on....yeah you heard me bring it on!!!" I figure my husband loved me with these so he will only love me with more right?!?!?!?

I am glad you are "ok" with stretchmarks. I think some people have a hard time accepting them so I am glad you have been so accepting of so many changes that have come without warning!!!

I am proud of you-Elaine

Julie said...

i escaped without a single sretch mark:) i lotioned my belly twice a day from 12 weeks on. i was obsessed! but, you cannot hate me because i have something much worse.....spider veins!! i have had them since i was born and people always ask me, "what did you do to your leg?" (thinking it is a black and blue mark) and i am like, "no, i am just a freak who has spider veins without any apparent reason".

i guess we all have things we want to cover up :)

Erin said...

Like Elaine, I'm glad that you're okay with your stretch marks. I have a few in the same spot you mentioned -- that area that is now a little bit below my belly button -- also a fatty part (ha, I typed "party" oops!) of my body. In addition to these few stretch marks (which are now faded to white), I also have the lovey "accordion skin" so common in twin pregnancies b/c the skin stretches much faster than the elastic in the skin is meant to stretch. It's mine -- not going away unless I see a plastic surgeon!

Love this post, your tone sounds upbeat and happy. :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love that picture....I can't wait to meet him.

Elaine

Julie said...

oh yea, i forgot to say that i think he is so precious in that pic. nice smile! i love his jammies, but does this kid ever wear normal clothes....jeez!

jk :)