Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Happy Due Date to Me!

It's my due date!! Carter was 2 weeks and 5 days early, so in honor of my "due" date, I thought I'd just give an update on the past two weeks. We're just surviving-- these days have been filled with ups and downs... moments of bliss, and moments where I think I might be going insane. Lots of crying, lots of laughing, and lots of wondering when I'll feel "normal" again, when any sort of pattern or consistency will return to our lives. I'm just trying to take it day by day and to get to know this new little person in my life. While I don't have any really good stories at this point, I'll highlight some of the highs and lows we've experienced thus far.

High: Watching Brian function as a father. He's indescribably good at this gig. He gets up in the middle of the night, most of the time with no complaints, to change Carter before I feed him. He holds him like a football and walks around having conversations with him. He seems to have a sixth sense that he uses to just know when I could use some "me time" and takes Carter for as long as I need him to. I've said it before, but I'll say it again-- Brian is absolutely my saving grace. He has been for a long time... but now more than ever. I've never been so in love with anyone in my life.

Low: Breastfeeding. Who knew it would be this incredibly hard?? I knew it would hurt pretty bad, and I was prepared for that. But the constant feedings, the incessant wondering if he's getting enough sustenance, the feelings of "I'll never get away for more than 2 hours every again"... it's brutal. I'm committed to doing this for Carter, but I'll never again judge a mother who tries and then switches to formula feeding. It's WORK.

High: Walks. We've taken Carter out for two walks, and it's been super nice to spend time as a family but get out of the house. I tend to go stir crazy having to stay in the house, and that's what my life has become recently, so I really look forward to nice weather when Brian is home, so we can go for a walk and just get some fresh air.

Low: Effin' hormones!! I know that this is normal, and I know there's really nothing I can do about it, but I also didn't expect this hormonal shift to last as long as it has. I can't get through a day, it seems, without a ridiculous crying jag. I cry when Carter cries, when I think about my "old life," when Brian is too nice, and for absolutely no reason at all. It's maddening, and it makes me question my sanity on a daily basis. Great!

High: My ankles!! My waist!! My wrists!! My wedding bands fit again, I can put my own socks on, it's not a sweat-breaking workout to put pants on, I can wear more than one pair of shoes, and I can roll over in bed. I can even sleep on my stomach! It's been so great to see my body go back to being somewhat normal. I gained 35 pounds total during pregnancy, and I'm down to being only 6 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight. It's great to watch the weight fall off! I have a LONG way to go in terms of muscle tone and where I'd like to be ideally, but for now I'll take the progress I've made!

3 comments:

Julie said...

i am so glad that you are heppy about your body! you were so nervous about it, and i am glad that you are returning to "somewhat normal" so quickly. i had to wait a couple months before my wedding bands would fit again...i guess that is what gaining 55 lbs will do to a person.

IMO, nursing is VERY hard work! it can be so frustrating sometimes. especially when the baby spits out all that "liquid gold". (as becky calls it) it takes a while to balance pumping and nursing, but you will get the hang of it.

where are the carter pics?!! you must put a new one up! carter is so cute! he is a little werewolf! (he wanted to come out in a costume for halloween)LOL annabelle, on the other hand, had to soak in her beauty bath for a couple of weeks before she made an appearance:)

Joe Reid said...

So glad to see you're still writing here. Love the updates -- you do a great job of keeping these things funny and sweet and informative. Happy to hear about the highs, hope you don't dwell too much on the lows. You and Brian are as perfect a pair of new parents as I can imagine. Hope to be able to visit you guys in a few months or so.

Becky said...

http://jonesberry.blogspot.com/2008/07/hows-it-going.html

http://jonesberry.blogspot.com/2008/08/things-no-one-told-me-part-three.html

I though you might appreciate hearing my 'voice' while I was exactly where you are now... I promise the bad stuff gets better!!