Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cloth Diapering Update

It's been a week or so since we switched from the disposable diapers we started out using to the cloth we have anticipated using, so I thought I'd post a quick update on how that's going.

I should start by saying that Brian and I definitely got used to the ease of disposable diapers... which we had hoped not to do. They give you quite a few diapers at the hospital, and since both of us had absolutely zero experience changing diapers, we ended up learning with disposables. We then continued to use them when we came home because of the gauze and vaseline we needed to use on Carter's circumcision. Vaseline on cloth would have ruined the diapers. But, after Carter's second Dr. appointment when we were told the vaseline could stop, we took a deep breath and made the switch. It was tricky at first, but not too bad.

We started out with the Kissaluvs. These have the option to snap down in the front in order to not rub against the umbilical cord. We LOVE these... they're fitted, so the legs are all gusseted and molded to a baby's legs in order to keep wetness in. They work like a charm, and they're super easy to snap on. Now that his cord is off, we've switched to using prefolds, and keeping the Kissaluvs for nighttime. The prefolds are much harder to work with, but they seem to work great and are easier to figure out each time we change him.. The snappi fasteners are a godsend-- easy to reposition, to get on and off, and they keep the diaper nice and snug.

Everyone kept telling us that cloth was terrible because of leaks... now granted Carter is only 2 1/2 weeks old... but we haven't had a single leak with the cloth. With the disposables, we had multiple days where we'd go through 2-3 outifts because Carter would pee right through the diaper. With the cloth, the absorption is 360 degrees around his body, so even if he's on his side, the liquid soaks right into the cloth, and is stopped by the waterproof wrap.

Another added bonus? I don't know how this is happening, exactly, but I swear to you -- the cloth diapers smell less. That's right, I said less. They definitely have a distinctive smell, but it's so much less offensive than the disposables. And once they're in the diaper pail, which is just a garbage can with a waterproof liner (same fabric as the waterproof shells), you can't smell them. Well, I can't. I dare you to come check it out though -- so far, we aren't the cloth diapering home that smells like it. :)

He had a touch of diaper rash last week, and that's completely gone now. The cloth also wicks any moisture and poop (sorry, TMI) right away from his body... so when we change him he's much easier to clean up, and this leads me to believe that he's also more comfortable, not having been sitting in his own mess for a while. The one and only downside is the laundry, but all in all, I'm beyond pleased with how the cloth is working out. This is one decision I'll stick with!

10 comments:

Julie said...

i am loving the cloth too. i only had 1 leak problem and that was because we were waiting to get pictures taken in walmart for 3 HOURS and i forgot to change her diaper. i think that any diaper would fail in that situation!

annabelle had a couple of rashes at first when we were using the disposables. but it has been 2 months of exclusive cloth use, and we have been rash free ever since!

i don't mind the laundry at all. of course, i waited a month before i introduced cloth because i knew i wouldn't be able to handle laundry for a while. you are so ambitious!

the only downside, if you could call it that, is that they make annabelle's butt look huge! and she is right at the end of the 3-6 month onesies...she is only 3 months old! baby got back!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

He looks so cute!!! I am glad to see that it is going well because some cloth diapers can be a tad more labor intensive than others. What made you choose these diapers over other brands? =Elaine

Kristeen said...

elaine - we chose to use these because after the cloth diapering class we took (Dorks, I know...) they seemed easy enough to handle, and they were by far the most economical option. The prefolds are only $1.50 each! They should fit him up to about 15lbs, so we've got all the diapers we'll need for at least a few months. I guess we felt like we were doing something to be environmentally responsible, while saving money and maybe even experiencing some of the supposed benefits of CDs... earlier toilet training, less diaper rash, etc. We'll see if those really happen!

Anonymous said...

He's got the coolest and cutest butt ever!

Becky said...

That is one cute butt!! Happy to see you converted without much trouble. And yes I think disposables are STINKY too.. and why do they (conventional brands) have to smell so strong right out of the bag!?!

JJ said...

That boy has serious "all over" his head hair!! :)

Anonymous said...

This child is so stinking cute! I still cannot understand why he won't open his eyes for me! Seriously I have only seen those baby blues in picture form!
Kim

Nicole said...

I have a silly question; how do you wash the cloth diapers? Do you use regular laundry detergent or do you have to use something special?

Kristeen said...

Nicole-- there are certain detergents that are "normal" that you can use, but every resource I used or talked to recommended special detergents. We use Allen's Naturally, which is a little pricey, but comes in a gallon size that we hope will last a while. Brian has freakishly sensitive skin, so a lot of the detergents (like Tide) that were okay to use are those that make him all itchy. We didn't want to risk Carter having the same freakish reactions. So far so good with the Allens!

Nicole said...

Thanks for the info! Tom can't do Tide either, maybe it's a guy thing!