Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pregnancy Tricks and Treats: 2nd edition

So, I know it's only been a mere 5-6 weeks since my last "Trick and Treats" post, but I have new things to add already. It feels like something new happens almost each week, and it's sort of fun to keep track of. Or not so fun, depending on the situation.

Trick: WALKING!! It sucks, big time, lately. I feel like I walk slower than every before, which is frustrating since I tend to be someone who walks with a mission-- I hardly every just saunter around. Now, every time my foot falls, it feels like I have to pee super bad. It actually sort of hurts, so that's no fun. If I perpetually tighten my pelvic floor muscles (do a kegal for the entire time I'm walking), the pain is avoidable. But really? Who walks around like that?? (Me, that's who.)

Treat: Brian has been SUPER supportive lately. He's a very supportive husband in general, but lately he's willing to do whatever necessary to make me more comfortable-- massages, hugs, kind words... he does it all, and he does it well.

Trick: My feet have grown. Not swollen, just grown. I have been in flip-flops pretty much non-stop since May or June, so imagine my surprise when I went to wear my favorite black flats to work the other day? They felt a little snug in the morning, but not tight. Well, by noon or so I was in agony. My toes were cramped together, my heels were starting to feel blistered, and I was walking around the Counseling Office in bare feet.

Treat: Students-- no really interesting comments like I had anticipated, but they're cute. I have one girl who I literally have to run away from in the hallway because she always wants to stop and poke my belly. It's cute, sure, but after 20 pokes it starts to lose it's cuteness. She's recently begun to generalize this behavior and has poked both my principal and the School Resource Officer's bellies. Oddly enough, they don't find this quite as amusing. I also had a student get visibly upset upon realizing that this pregnancy means an impending maternity leave. It was pretty sad... and I felt terrible for a minute or two. It's nice to feel needed at school though.

Trick: The "You're huge!!" comments. The kids say it innocently, but the general public continues to point out and marvel at my circumference. Amazing the things people feel entitled to say and do when you're pregnant. One lady at the mall commented on my shirt and then launched into a lecture about how tight clothes can smother the baby. Jeez.

Treat: Being able to find the baby by feeling around. I love that I can feel him now! I never have any idea what I'm feeling in terms of head/feet/butt... but he's pretty obvious these days in terms of location. I love the new movements too... Not so much "kicking" but more of a general rolling. It's very much like that Movie, Alien. Looks like some creature will bust out. A cute creature though, we hope.

Trick: Charlie Horses. OH MY GOD they're AWFUL. My entire right calf cramped up the other day and locked into a toes-pointed position. It woke me out of a dead sleep and after trying and trying to flex my foot the other way, the only thing that worked was to get out of bed and do some stretches. That muscle hurt so bad for the following 2 or 3 days that I literally had to limp. The arches of my feet are also extremely prone to these. I've eaten a ton of bananas for potassium and I've been guzzling milk... and it doesn't seem to help. Oiy!

Trick: Back pain. I don't want to jinx myself, because I can't honestly say it's been terrible thus far, but I'm seriously dreading it getting worse. The pain doesn't occur in a section of my back that I can stretch, so I don't know what the deal is with it. Brian actually had his arm around me today and commented on how tight the muscles in that area were. It really doesn't make any sense.

Trick: Ugh, peeing. The doctor says to go as soon as I feel like I have to go in order to avoid having braxton hicks contractions, which are just super annoying (not painful.) But, it's really frustrating to do this. Because, even though I feel like I really have to go... the effort to get my (20 lbs heavier) butt off the couch to go is SO not worth the one tablespoon that may actually come out. I'll deal with the contractions and save up until peeing is actually a worthwhile experience, thanks :)

I know I posted more tricks than treats-- and I feel like I should clairify that I genuinely still feel good most of the time. I'm very uncomfortable later in the evening, and occasionally when baby decides to lodge himself in an uncomfortable position. I am, however, beginning to understand the ready-to-be-done-with-this feeling that most of my mommy friends have spoken about. I'm pretty sure I'll be there by week 40.

1 comment:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I haven't seen anymore of Brian's pregnancy photos..is he camera shy these days?

If it makes you feel better sometimes I take off my workshoes and walk in my office barefoot b/c my feet swell during the day. I have thought of leaving comfy flat shoes to wear just in my office but knowing me I will forget and go out into the hallway.

I bet it is much more "real" when you first feel a movement, then begin to feel true movement, and now to begin to decipher body parts that are moving. The development that occurs in such a short time is remarkable.

How is birthing class going? Can't wait to see you.
Elaine