Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, September 11, 2009

Labor Preparation Class #1

Thursday night, we headed out to our first "Labor Prep" class at the hospital where we will be delivering and meeting The Cooligan (St. Josephs). I was all excited to be doing this because, let's face it, I'm a huge dork and offering me a chance to suck in new knowledge without homework or grades is like offering candy to a five year old. I was nervous as a result of not knowing what to expect, but excited.

Well, the first thing I didn't expect was my reaction to the simple action of setting foot in the hospital. We weren't even IN the hospital, for pete's sake, when I had already started shaking and holding back tears. I was thinking to myself about how one day, not so far away, I'd be walking across this same bridge in between contractions, and then leaving across this same bridge to bring home a baby. Holy shit. (Pardon my naughty mouth, but I don't know that there is any non-offensive word to describe my thoughts at that particular moment.) Brian, in his ever-confident and annoyingly calm glory just looked at me like I was nuts.

Anyway, so we made it across with no panic attacks or running away (despite the fact that every fiber of my being was screaming "Turn and RUN!"). The class was pretty good, and I honestly look forward to going again-- we go for 5 consecutive weeks. Here are some of the things I learned so far:
  • St. Joe's is a breast-feeding friendly hospital, in that they encourage all new mothers to nurse.
  • Babys "room in" with mom after the delivery-- they are not taken away to be kept in a nursery.
  • St. Joe's is also an advocate of skin-to-skin contact... as soon as the baby is delivered (before taking him away to clean him up, etc) they place the baby on the mother's chest/stomach. Sounds gross, but makes sense in that it stabilizes the baby's breathing, heart rate, and temperature, and makes baby more comfortable since temperature, sounds and voice are famliar. It also helps the mother produce oxytocin which promotes bonding with the baby, and keeps contractions going so as to help then deliver the placenta and all that yucky junk.
  • The doctors at my particular practice who deliver at St. Joe's encourage the mother to reach down and actually help deliver the baby after the head is out. This skeeves me out a bit (Okay a lot) but we'll see-- I can't judge how I will feel about this yet. We'll see once I'm in a painful, hormonal, all-emotions-at-once state during the delivery.
  • I seriously have the most supportive husband in the world-- it's impressive how genuinely excited Brian is for these classes. I love him :)

5 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I have seen on tv where the women help pull the baby out, I think it is amazing to do that but also I do not think less of someone who is in so much pain that she doesn't want to. I know people say they wish they never looked down there but I want to see b/c well it is my body and I want to know what is happening.

Sounds like a great hospital!!!!

Elaine

Becky said...

My hospital also told us that they put the baby on mom after delivery. They didn't in the end, he went right to the warmer to be wiped off, which annoyed me and I apparently kept asking for him but I don't remember much about it. They also asked me if I wanted to touch his head, I said know but she sorta made me and I didn't have the energy to protest.
When it comes down to it. It is much more about the what the dr does than what the hospital says they do when it comes to the delivery room, but their policy's matter with the rooming in stuff, and it is GREAT that they let you room in with the baby.

Kristeen said...

Becky-- we also have the same issue with the husband "rooming in" though. If I have a roommate, he's gotta go. St. Joe's also has "the Birth Place" in addition to L&D, where you literally have a little apartment where you stay for the entire time. But, no epidural there, and I want to leave my options open this first time. Hopefully I'll deliver on a slow night, and Brian will be able to stay.

Erin said...

I had a "double" room when I was in maternity ward (both antepartum and then after the boys were born). During my 2+ weeks at the hospital, I only had a roommate for 1 night. The nurses will work really hard to try to make it so you don't have a roommate because they know how much you will want Brian there with you. Plus, if he isn't there, they will have to help you with everything (like getting up to go to the bathroom)!

The birthing center sounds great -- maybe you will get through labor without needing an epidural (if I were going to have a 3rd, I think I would actually try that seeing I was fully dilated before I even got my epidural this time aroudn) -- and then you can have a luxurious birthing suite!

Julie said...

matt was able to room with me at crouse. it was SOOOO nice. thankfully, i did not have a roommate. erin is right, the nurses really try to let you have a private room for as long as possible.

apparently, the nurses informed me that there is a "busy season" for having babies. the summer months are the busiest, and the winter months are slower. weird, i know. next time, i might consider having my baby in the "low season", just to guarantee a private room.

btw, epidurals rock! i got mine at 2cm, i was NOT messing around!