Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Holy Heartburn!

While I still refuse to complain about being pregnant or any of it's symptoms (although my patience for being a non-complainer is starting to wane...) I will complain about the heartburn I'm experiencing tonight.

I've never had heartburn before, which is impressive-- if you know me well, you've probably heard plenty about the gastro-intestinal distress I've experienced over the years. Though a prolonged self-study proved much of it to be anxiety-related, it was nevertheless a real (and uncomfortable!) issue for a while. Anyway, despite my slew of stomach issues, heartburn was never one of them so I have no experience here. But this MUST be heartburn... because it literally feels like my heart and esophagus are on fire. ON FIRE I tell you!! It will feel like I need to burp, but when I do it's not a burp-- and rather an extrememly uncomfortable hot, burning sensation that makes me want to pack my esophagus with ice and wrap my neck in a cold water-soaked washcloth. (My guess is that this wouldn't help.)

I think it may have something to do with the 6 pack (yes, six pack) of Airheads I ate today after an I-desperately-need-candy frenzy in Target. Curse my insatiable sweet tooth! I suppose the pain serves me right for eating such a pile of crap but, for the love of God, it's 11:00 at night and all I want to do is go to bed, but the thought of laying down scares me since I've heard heartburn is worse if you're reclined.

Brian is at the store as I type buying me some relief, but not certain types of relief, because even though the medication chart from my OB/GYN says certain things are okay, Brian has designated himself the medication police. fingers crossed that his pick of drugs works!! If not... well I just don't know, but it won't be good. :(

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Brian did get his medical degree online when I was there over the summer...don't you remember??


Hopefully the lack up updates means you got some well deserved rest.

Elaine

Erin said...

Ugh, heartburn. Several remedies -- tums, tums, tums! Extra bonus -- they are full of calcium to help prevent the baby from leeching all the calcium from your bones. Also, try to stay upright for a least an hour after eating, and that might help. Dairy products are also supposed to help coat and protect the linings of your stomach and esophagus -- so maybe that would help, too.

Poor girl!

srezsnyak said...

One word - Gaviscon. Baby recommended, doctor approved. Oh wait, scratch that, reverse it.

-The Rezsnyaks

Sarah B. said...

Good thing you don't have acid reflux disease. I experience heart burn and acid reflux often, and I totally understand when you say your esophagus is on fire. It only got worse when I became pregnant. I loved the tums let me tell you!!!! They were my best friend my first and third trimester. I also agree with your friend Erin. I hope you feel better soon....

Brian is cute: medication police! What a great husband.

Julie said...

TUMS for sure! I ate them every night in my last month....i liked the flavored kind.

Becky said...

I was also addicted to TUMs from about month 5 on so consider yourself lucky it took this long!!

JJ said...

Sweetie..I also had heartburn but with only one of my children..can YOU guess and NO it wasn't Becky!! It was not allowed at the time for me to take any antiacid pills so I had to do w/o. My home remedy was smaller meals and I kept upright and moving around for about a hour and a half after a meal. I'm sure the truck load of chocolate I ate in the 3 weeks after my due date did NOT help!! xoxo