Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 16, 2010

Cool's Crabfest 2010

One time each summer, Brian's parents have us over for what is quite possibly my favorite meal of the year.  I've dubbed it "Cool's Crabfest" because that's exactly what it is.  And OH it is fantastic!  Last year, we had Crabfest on the weekend of our anniversary -- you may recall my 3rd anniversary post about my 3 day Seafood Extravaganza.  Carter was still an "inside baby" back then, but this year he got to join us.  Of course, he doesn't know about the deliciousness of shellfish yet, but we kept him entertained with a chunk of banana in his mesh feeder:

I will stuff the whole thing in at once, I will!
I should note that this is the highchair that Brian used when he was a baby.  Very sweet.



This year, Joyce and Ron Landbeck joined us for Crabfest.  Joyce and Ron are close friends of my mother and father-in-law, and therefore close friends of Brian and I.  They are a super fun couple to be around -- similar to Brian and I in that Joyce tends to be the quiet observer and the more mellow of the two, while Ron tells stories like there's no tomorrow, and perforates them with jokes, noises and anything to get a laugh.

So, Brian's mom bought 15 pounds (nope, that wasn't a typo...fifteen pounds!!) of crab legs for us all to indulge in.  And indulge we did -- we ate nearly all the crab as sat outside at the picnic table on what turned out to be a beautiful, cool night.  Carter stayed happy with his banana and then what probably ended up being 1/2 a container of puffs.  Here are some of the pictures:

Just from my description, can you guess which one is Ron? 

We all love Grumpa, but we love him even more when he's putting crab on our plates!
Yumm... Get in my belly!
My mom made you wear one too, huh?
Hmm, Mama?  I like this guy!
The next day, on the way home from Ovid we stopped at the Taughannock Falls overlook in Trumansburg, NY.  It's one of the most beautiful places I can think of and although Carter was squirmy and impatient while we were there, I'd like to think he noticed how beautiful it is too.  (He spent most of his 10 minutes "barking" to get people's attention and then smiling at that.  That's my boy!)

It's an easy hike back to the bottom of the falls... Next summer we hope to do it with the boy.
Family photo:  disinterested baby, and blocking the falls.  Nice!
Family photo: take two.  Falls included, but baby trying to escape.  (There was a dog nearby who he desperately wanted.)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yum -- crab is definitely one of my favorite meals. Delicious! The family photos are too funny -- Carter looks practically as big as you!

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

looks like a great trip!!!