Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, March 1, 2010

Carter: 4 Months

Four months already! I can't quite figure out if time has been flying or not. Some of our time has gone very slowly, as we wait for the days when Carter doesn't cry all day. But of course, when those days come, they fly by.

These days Carter is definitely more reliably good-natured. He's all smiles every morning, and only has a few complete crying meltdowns during the day, whereas he used to cry for a significant portion of the day. And the crying jags are counterbalanced now with just pure fun... the boy is hysterical! There is so much more we can do with him now, and that in itself is a blast.

On a side note, I'm beginning to realize that I shouldn't take these pictures on our couch, which is the same color as Carter's skin! For consistency's sake, I'll continue to do so, but I'm sorry for the complete lack of color here!

Likes:
  • Diaper changes. Actually, I have no idea whether it's being changed, or the dresser we change him on, or the proximity to us that he likes. Whatever. He loves it and therefor so do we.
  • Jumping. Now that his neck is stronger, we can make him jump on our laps, and often he'll laugh out loud.
  • Standing. On anything. He actually starts to cry when he's not standing. At this rate, my biceps should be massive by summer from all jumping and supported standing.
  • His sing-along-puppy. (The same one I mentioned in my previous post.)
  • Taking his shirt off. It's the weirdest thing. He used to freak out when we pulled the shirt over his head, now he giggles. He still hates putting them on, but taking them off is a riot.
  • Eating anything that brushes his mouth. Hands, my hair, toys, burp cloths, blankets... you name it.
I love to eat my hands!

Dislikes:
  • Bathtime. Oh how we long for the days when he liked his bath. It's SO not fun these days. After about 5 minutes he just loses it.
  • Being burped. Still a struggle each and every time, for each person who feeds him, and whether he's taking a bottle or nursing. He just hates it.
  • Having his hands covered. This is odd, because he still needs to be swaddled to sleep, but he hates having his hands tucked in while in the swing, bouncy seat or carrier.
  • Tummy time. He's always hated this, but we're pushing it now. Suck it up kid, it's good for you!
Mommy Wisdom of the Month:
  • Carseats aren't safe unless your LATCH fasteners are less than 13 inches apart. Mine is safe, but wasn't up until today. Also, Canadian directions will tell you to prop the seat up with a towel, which apparently isn't kosher in the US. Ugh. This is a whole other post, which I'll get to in a few days hopefully.
  • Babies don't care if you're sick. They will not nap or stop crying, even if you beg and beg, because all you want to do is curl up in a ball on the floor and die. (I had the stomach bug this month. Begging was, of course, a concept completely lost on Carter, but I tried it nyway. When that didn't work, I started begging God to either put me out of my misery or get Brian home early.) Ugh, that was a bad day!
Daddy installed my car seat wrong? Why I oughta...

5 comments:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

the carseat installation seems difficult to ensure it is completely correct. I imagine that most are not correct. I did read about adding a towel. Obviously I am a few months away from installing a carseat, but definitely look forward to the information you share.

His clothes are too cute!!!!!

Erin said...

I love the pictures! You can have the carseat installed at a fire station or EMT center -- http://www.seatcheck.org/ -- that is what I did with both sets of the boys' seats. It gave me piece of mind to know that they were installed by trained professionals (and for free, although they do ask for a small donation to keep the program going). They used noodles (like you would have in a pool) to prop the front of the carseat to make sure the seats were level, and that worked great.

Becky said...

Interesting, our directions also told us to use a rolled up a towel to level off the car seat(it kept getting smushed into the crack too far). Worked great! =) Craziness I tell you. There are very few car seat check spots in NYC, we had a hard time locating one and being about to work around their 'once every 3rd month if the 2nd day of the month happens to be a tuesday' schedule.

Erin said...

That really surprises me, Becky! The hospital where the boys were born had a seat-installation every 2 weeks, plus, the local fire department has one every Monday.

Nicole said...

I love the pictures!