Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sickness, Stress, and Smiles.


We've had a rough few days here in the Cool household. Saturday, Brian was out of town at a wedding all day, which sounds like no big deal, but it was 1) a wedding I was really hoping to be able to go to, and 2) a weekend-- I SO look forward to having Brian home all day on the weekends now. Carter was extremely fussy all day so I couldn't leave the house. I basically sat on the couch all day until my mom was able to come over for a bit in the evening.

Sunday, Brian woke up feeling like he had a cold. He rushed out to get some Zicam in hopes of getting rid of it quick, and that seemed to work for most of the day. Then, between 5 and 6 pm, things took a steep downward turn faster than I've ever seen. I went grocery shopping, and by the time I got back, he was curled up on the couch under several blankets, literally shaking like a leaf with a fever of 101 and aches that you could just see in his facial expressions. My poor hubs! At first I thought he was being dramatic, but when he got upset about not being able to hold Carter, I knew he was for real.

So for the past two nights he's slept in our spare bedroom to try not to pass his illness to Carter and me. This has left me alone to deal with Carter, which doesn't sound like an issue, but when you're used to a pretty efficient and convenient system of teamwork... it's rough. I've been Carter's sole caretaker for 48 hours now and I'm going a little crazy. While I absolutely love him, I also absolutely look forward to 4:00 every day when Brian comes home and I get a break. To top it off, he decided that Saturday night (my first night without Brian) he'd be hungry every 2 hours. No sleep!! (Normally he's a very good sleeper.)

Last night, Carter was SUPER fussy. He'd been eating every hour and a half (ouch!) and around 9:00 after only an hour, was acting like he was absolutely starving. Mama needed a break, so I warmed up a bottle of milk I'd stashed in the fridge, and to my delight, he fell asleep immediately after at about 9:30, which is a good 3 hours before his normal bedtime. Yay!! Then, he slept for 6 1/2 hours. Six and a half hours!! While this makes me a little nervous, I decided to just let it happen for once so I could catch up.

At 4am, when he woke up to eat, he was literally ALL SMILES. I've never been so happy to be up at that hour in my life :) What's even better is that I put him back down to sleep and he slept for another 5! Ahh... Sleep, glorious sleep. Brian is also on antibiotics and will be able to resume his daddy duties tonight, so things are looking up!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Just when you're ready to drop them on the neighbors doorstep they go and become the cutest thing on earth. Its a survival mechanism I'm sure. Sorry you've had a rough couple of days! Hope Brain feels better soon. Can't wait to see the little nugget at the end of the month.

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

I hope that everyone starts feeling better and can get back on track soon. I can imagine it is a long few days when you are used to great supportive help. I feel confident that Brian feels so sad not being able to comfort you and comfort Carter. I am so thankful it is not the flu/swine flu although I know that strep can be contagious as well.

Elaine

Sarah B. said...

I feel your pain about missing the wedding and being the only one home with a newborn all day and night. I had missed 2 weddings; one in August that I was suppose to be in and one in September. Sorry Brian is/was not feeling well and I hope he is better. It is difficult without your support/partner there to help.. Believe me I know. I am by myself (from 6 a.m. to 9:30-10 p.m.) four to five days a week. I know its hard and sorry the past couple of days have been rough, but it will get better. Keep up the great work!! You and Brian are doing a GREAT job!!!

Sarah B. said...

Also, keep the pictures coming.. He is SO adorable!!!