Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Gender Question



I've been getting a lot of questions such as, "Do you have a feeling either way?" lately, so in the spirit of daydreaming about who our child will be, I thought I'd do a little "research" and ask the very reliable sources I found via Google about our baby's gender. Here's what I learned:

Source 1: Chinese Gender Chart

This takes into account your age in Chinese Lunar years (Wha??) and other necessary facts such as month of conception, and your time zone (which is clearly relevent.)
**Verdict: Girl!

Source 2: The Baby Gender Prediction Test

This quiz takes into account your Rhesus factor, age, date of conception, and all the same information about your spouse. It also considers the make-up of your family-- whether your parents had more boys, more girls, or equal amounts.
**Verdict: Girl!

Source 3: Childbirth.org's "Is it a boy or a girl" test.

Another obviously reliable measure, this asks questions about important things such as how fast the hair on my legs grows now, whether I sleep with my pillow facing north or south (Um, it faces West), and my feelings about orange juice.
**Verdict: 46% Chance it's a boy, 54% Chance it's a girl.

Source 4: Baby Gender Predictor

This was the simplest test: enter mom and dad's birth months, and the month of conception and there you have it! Who knew it was that simple??
**Verdict: Boy.

So, now that we've consulted all the online "experts," we'd love to know what your feeling is... take the poll on the left hand side of the blog and give us your prediction! I, myself, feel like it's a girl, but that's based solely on what I've always thought my first child would be-- certainly not on anything as reliable as which direction my pillow faces :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since your pillow is facing west, I chose you were having a puppy!!! HA HA HA-----

I heard there are these new tests out that can predict gender earlier than the standard ones at the doctors. They can predict as early as 6-8 weeks and are only like 120ish dollars...the reason people want them banned is they feel they can attribute to more abortions if you find out early enough you are not having the gender you would like.

I am unsure about gender b/c I don't know much about "if you are carrying high" "if you are carrying low" phenomenon but I am sure after you are asked are you having a boy or girl you are asked these two questions "are you going to find out?" and "do you have names picked out?" It must be a tad stressful if you want to keep things secret and people are asking all day. -Elaine

Erin said...

You should find an old woman who can do the wedding ring test -- it actually worked for me! After I found out the gender of the boys, I didn't tell this older woman I worked with -- and she did the wedding ring test (if it swings back and forth, it's a boy, if it swings in a circle, it's a girl, or something like that) and she predicted, after swinging the ring over my belly for approximately 2 seconds, that I was having 2 boys. Wild! I'm going to guess you're having a surprise set of twins -- one of each. :)

Julie said...

When are you finding out? After you find out, people will ask you about the name. At first, I discussed name options with people and realized that it went nowhere. I think each person has a specific taste in names, and you have to figure out what you like without any outside influences. I am keeping my baby's name a secret.....but everyone still asks. I usually just say: I haven't decided yet. p.s. I voted for a girl :)

Becky said...

Oh dear. You are tipping your hand a little with the exclamation points. *I think* you are having a girl but I would selfishly be excited to see you have a little boy too. Boys are fun I promise!
I actually got into a real arguement with one of Seans Uncles over the accuracy of the ring test. He fully belives God will tell you the sex of your baby with this test. He went on to tell me about the involutary muscles in your arm that cause the ring to turn. I told him there are no involutary muscles in your arm. (I'm just a kill joy!)
Anyway.. 95% of people told me I was having a boy and they were correct!

Becky said...

Oh and either way, Gretta's in trouble.

Erin said...

Ha! Good point, Becky. GIRL! Boy.

Boys are fun.

Anonymous said...

I am 100% correct in saying your baby will have at least 1 "X" chromosome!!! HA HA..I win the pool..just send all the money my way. Elaine

Kristeen said...

Funny about the exclamation point thing... that was totally unplanned, I swear! It actually took me a minute to figure out what the heck Becky was talking about. We find out on the 24th.

Unknown said...

This is strange but I did shave my legs less often with Lukas. I don't know if that is a because he was a boy or if it is a pregnancy related thing. My mom said girl and so did Jim's mom... Jim knew all along it was a boy. I just wanted a healthy baby.

Unknown said...

ps... I voted for a girl because I want to buy baby girl clothes for someone. It was a completely selfish vote but I think Brian will be a good dad to a girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm going on record...I think you are having a boy...that's "my" hunch! Love you Mrs. "J"

Mary C said...

How about one of each?