This month has been amazing. We gave up nursing right after the 4 month mark after having issues with it consistently for a few weeks. I still pump, so Carter now gets five bottles of breast milk and one bottle of formula a day. I agonized, cried, and stressed over this decision for a long time, but it was a good one. A very good one. Carter is a different baby -- he's happy! Reliably happy for long periods of time, and because of this I'm a happy mommy. Happier than I ever was thought I could be, as a matter of fact, and relieved to finally be enjoying my son full time as compared to enjoying him part time, and spending the other part of my time listening to him cry and feeling completely incompetent. The past month has been a huge sigh of relief.
Dr. Rosser also cleared us to introduce oatmeal to Carter, though we'll likely start after we get back from next week's wedding in Kentucky. We're not in a hurry to introduce solids, and she said we could wait as long as 6 months before doing so. Other good news is that we now have pediatrician approval to continue swaddling... I'm prepared to keep swaddling until high school if it means he'll continue to sleep as well as he has been. We haven't had a middle-of-the-night wake-up since he was two months old. He consistently wakes up between 5-6, which is frustrating, but I'll take that over night wakings any day.
Likes:
- Toys - he's finally taking an interest in grasping everything, and it all promptly goes into his mouth.
- Bathtime - he loves it again! Yay!
- Being pulled up by his arms. My grandma would like to kill me when I do it, but the kid LOVES it and laughs each and every times.
- His hands - yesterday he had them crammed so far in his mouth he was gagging himself. Hands are very yummy, I guess.
Dislikes:
- Tummy time -- this is the only time he'll roll, solely to stop being on his belly.
- Burping. Just par for the course at this point, he still screams.
- Really, dislikes are few at this point. Like I said, amazing month.
Mommy knowledge of the month:
- What's good for the rest of the world may not be what's good for you and your particular child. Compromise is a good thing, even if it means compromising with yourself.

3 comments:
If the pediatrician was against swaddling would you have not continued or just done it on the "DL?"
How does Greta get along with Carter?
He truly does seem like a great sleeper and a happy baby. Can't wait to see him again soon.
Elaine -- if the Ped had told us to stop swaddling, it really would have depended on her rationale. He's so happy swaddled, so unless there was a really good reason, we would have continued.
He's JUST started to notice Gretta, but she keeps her distance from him unless I'm holding him and she wants attention. So far no problems... I hope it stays that way!
Hooray for a happy baby! Sounds like he just isn't a boob man, and that is just fine! Glad the bm to formula ratio is still keeping things inexpensive for ya! Carter will let you know when he no longer wants to be swaddled, it will be obvious. I'm sure we did it longer than 4 months...but I don't recall exactly when we stopped. I am so glad that you guys didn't have the sleep issues we did...everyone seems to have their own cross to bear but that was NOT fun.
Can't wait to get him all to myself, next week! Colin finds the idea of Baby Carter very appealing but we'll see what happens in reality.
Post a Comment