Carter Frederick Cool

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Coffee Incident.


It's no secret that I drink a lot of coffee.  It's not the caffeine, really, it's the comfort that a warm, creamy coffee drink brings me.  The feeling I get from a cup of coffee is the liquid equivalent of the long, relaxed breath you take when you get home after a long day of work and change into your comfy sweats.  (In fact, I have a whole comparison chart in my mind which illustrates how much comfort I get from various warm drinks.  Coffee is sweat pants.  Hot cocoa is jeans... it goes on and on, but that's a whole other post.)

As it turns out, Carter likes it too.  No, I didn't give him any (it's okay Becky, put the phone down... you don't need to call and yell at me just yet), but he managed to get into some by himself yesterday.

The mugshot.
Brian and I had turned our backs for a few seconds -- it couldn't have been longer than 10 seconds, honestly.  While we were turned around, Carter pulled up on one of our end tables and reached for Brian's coffee cup, which normally would be up high on the mantle, but during this particular 10 seconds was, of course, right within his reach.  

We both spun around as we heard the unmistakable gush of liquid that we thought was water we must have left out.  We were surprised to see our little boy standing there, holding a coffee cup and swallowing over and over again, and grinning like a fool.  His entire onesie was covered in coffee: 

Carter vs. The Coffee:  Exhibit A
 Clearly, he had filled his mouth with Brian's black coffee.  I would have thought he'd have looked horrified at the taste, but the grin on his face spoke otherwise, as did his subsequent attempts to tip the cup up and drink more while we were busy laughing at the whole situation.  And what could we have done other than laugh as Carter did the same thing while standing in a puddle of coffee.

So, we stripped him, and I gave him an impromptu sponge bath to try and get the stale coffee stench off of him.  He laughed the whole time.  I'm glad he enjoyed himself.  Maybe some day he and I will sit and talk over a warm cup of coffee.  For now, we're sticking with water and milk... and keeping the coffee a little higher.

Can you let me out now?  I think I hear Daddy coming with my bail.

Can't you just see the guilt written all over his face.  Ha!  No remorse.

Edited to Add:  I added the label "I'm a freak of nature" to this post.  Once, a long time ago, I shared my "comparison chart" with Brian, and he looked at me just like that... his face very obviously said "You're a freak of nature."  



1 comment:

Elaine and Brandon Carder said...

YEAH, you will be able to enjoy reading your sunday paper with Carter in a few years while enjoying a good cup of coffee.