Our garden has been surprisingly productive this year. So much so that we were running out of things to make with the zucchini, tomatoes, and cucumbers that just kept coming and coming. Luckily, Carter loves zucchini, so we can use that up pretty easily. But a person can only eat so much cucumber tomato salad before wanting to run screaming for the hills each time a new cucumber comes in.
So a few nights ago, after Carter had gone to sleep, we stormed the kitchen and went to work.
Brian took a few pounds of cucumbers and made refrigerator pickles. They are SO YUMMY!! He used garlic, pickling spice, peppercorns, dill seed and fresh dill, a few different kinds of vinegar and a smattering of other things, and this was the result:
| Crispy, delicious, tangy goodness! Drool... |
| With a cheesy garnish of ingredients, courtesy of yours truly :) |
While Brian sliced, diced and pickled his cucumbers and peppers, I blanched, cooled, peeled and seeded several pounds of Roma tomatoes. While they were nice and red, they didn't have much flavor this year:
| You say tomato, I say tom-ahh-to. |
![]() |
| Tomato-garlic-basil heaven. (The white spots are Parmesan cheese... yum.) |
Just call us Brian and Kristeen Crocker!


5 comments:
You two are so incredibly awesome! Words just can not describe the pride I have in all three of you! Mommy and Daddy grow it and Carter loves it all!! What a cool family!
I have made homemade sauce but with canned tomatoes, but knowing that all the ingredients come from your garden makes it that much more fresh!!!!
Next year we hope to start a small garden. Are you going to make more sauce and freeze it to eat in the fall/winter?
That's great! All of it. I love spending hours int eh kitchen with Stephanie making up all kinds of homemade goodness.
What's the recipe for the refrigerator pickles? I LOVE pickles (well cucumbers really), we made a few quarts this year, but they were canned process. I really like refrigerator ones too... it would have been nice to have had a little more variety. Also, how long do they stay good for?
Oh and let me not forget to say: both those pickles and the sauce look SUPER delicious!
jealous! If you want to make canned crushed tomatoes I will be more than happy to take them off your hands!! I still can't find crushed tomatoes in glass jars.
Post a Comment